Joys of Aircraft Ownership...NOT

HeyEng

So I must rant for just a bit. Lately I have had nothing but problems with my Cherokee. I know there are going to be issues, but they always come up right before I want to take a trip. The last deal was while taxiing out to visit family for Thanksgiving in which I had a bum alternator. This was fixed and while I had the cowling off, I did a little bit more work. I flew it around the local area a number of times with no issies at all. I wanted to replace the battery with a cool maintenance free one, so I went out this afternoon to change it out before our scheduled trip out of town on Wednesday. So, I get it replaced and pull the plane out of the hanger to see if it will actually start. It started right up (way cool...maybe 1/2 a turn of the prop before she lit off) no problems. I was going to hit the pattern for a couple laps, but there were about 6 students in the pattern and there was chatter about icing and lowering ceilings, so I shut it down. As I was getting ready to hook up the tow bar to push it back in the hanger, I noticed a liquid dripping from the cowling. Since it sits in a hanger, I knew it wasn't water and a quick sniff check let me know it was indeed fuel. I thought maybe it was the sump drain, but it was bone dry and I could see it coming from the cowling. So, I opened it up and noticed it was leaking from the fuel line from the engine pump to the fire wall. Drats!!! I thought maybe it was just a loose b-nut, so I tried to tighten it up and well, you know the story. It's a no go...AHHHH!!! And to add insult to injury, I am unable to cross reference the number on the current hose to a good part number (except for Piper's # in the parts catalog) so I am going to have to pull it off and have it manufactured (better than order one and figure out it's wrong). So, again, I have to take a trip by car when I could have gone by plane....ughhhhhh!!! Who said owning an airplane is a good deal!?! :mad: OK, I don't feel better, but at least it's off my chest.

Don't try ordering parts from Cutter. Their techs will not look up part numbers due to potential liability. Even for Pipers. Even though they're the Piper dealer and service center.

Hope you get back in the air soon.

Don't try ordering parts from Cutter. Their techs will not look up part numbers due to potential liability. Even for Pipers. Even though they're the Piper dealer and service center.

Hope you get back in the air soon.

That is good to know. I have a request in with the www.aircrafthose.com peeps for an engine kit and that particular hose. All the hoses are close to the 10 year mark, so I figure I might as well change 'em all while I'm at it. I am beginning to think my C-5 funk is rubbing of on the trial size airplane (C-5's are notorious for being maintenance pigs; like 19 hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight). It's so much fun.... :sarcasm:

I know the feeling! But then I always think of cruising on a summer evening with the windows open right at sunset. Or doing a perfect wheel landing on to a beautiful grass strip. Or paying $25/hr to take a trip, rather than $125/hour to rent a plane. Or being able to offer a friend a ride in *my* plane.

And then I start smiling again.

That is good to know. I have a request in with the www.aircrafthose.com peeps for an engine kit and that particular hose. All the hoses are close to the 10 year mark, so I figure I might as well change 'em all while I'm at it. I am beginning to think my C-5 funk is rubbing of on the trial size airplane (C-5's are notorious for being maintenance pigs; like 19 hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight). It's so much fun.... :sarcasm:

A mini per diem machine!

If you're looking for a really good A&P (IA) who has a LOT of experience with Cherokee models let me know. He's in WI but well worth the distance :)

Or being able to offer a friend a ride in *my* plane.

And then I start smiling again.

True, so true.

2nd best day of my life was the day I got the plane. I'll let you know when the best day of my life is, it might be sooner then I thought.

Airplanes... If it ain't one thing, its something more expensive:banghead: I had a 64 Cherokee 235, best airplane I ever owned. Its was always finding ways for me to spend my money. Now days, it sits across the runway on my airpark and I get to fly it without buying the parts:D

Back