Drunk Driving

If she was fined, it was an administrative action that is reportable to FAA Security as well as on the next medical.

What a rookie move.

I hope they throw the book at her.

Anybody else would be screwed. If she gets over just because she's famous, I'm gonna be pissed.

If she loses her license she will not be able to fly without a gov't issued id along with her cert?

Am I correct or wrong?

Patty Wagstaff will pay a fine for driving drunk down an airport runway and resisting an officer in connection with a July 31 incident at Wittman Regional Airport.

DUI = trip to jail
Resisting = trip to jail

Her getting away with a fine and losing her drivers license is a joke. If it was you or me we would have been sitting in jail just like anyone else.

I hope they throw the book at her.

You can hope all you want but according to the linked article she has already been sentenced-$500 dollars +court costs 8 mo license revocation.

It's an interesting disposition. 500 bucks and 8 mo. is kind of light. $1500,1yr license susp. 1-2 days in jail 10-14 days suspended isn't uncommon around here(even for a first offense), but having a dui case settled in under 4mo. is very quick.
I'm guessing Ms. Wagstaff told her attorney to settle it as quickly as possibly and the ADA who got the case wasn't hell bent on trying to make his career by "making an example" of a famous person.

As far as her getting away with it easy I'm not to sure. I've had a few buddies with DUI's who never had to step foot in jail because the judge suspended the entire sentence based on them remaining out of trouble during their two years or probation. The fine does seem a little low but that varies greatly from state to state.

As far as her pilots license there's nothing the FAA can do about it for a first offense. If you read the regs 61.15d states that "except for a motor vehicle action that results from the same incident or arises our of the same factual circumstances, a motor vehicle action occurring within 3 years of a previous motor vehicle action is grounds for" It goes on to state the punishments which include having your license taking away blah blah blah. The important part of 61.15d is that is must be a second motor vehicle action within a three year period for the FAA to enforce a violation. As long as she reports it in the time window the FAA has set she will be fine as far as her pilot license goes.

Now for her medical. This is a tricky situation. In the guide for medical examiners on the FAA website it actually says "A single driving while intoxicated (DWI) arrest, conviction or administrative action usually is not cause for denial if there are no other instances or indications of substance dependence or abuse. The Examiner should inquire regarding the applicant's alcohol use history, the circumstances surrounding the incident, and document those findings in Item 60. "
To be more specific if you look at the requirements for a second class medical which I believe she holds as far as substance abuse which a DUI falls under this is what it says:
(b) No substance abuse within the preceding 2 years defined as:
(1) Use of a substance in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous, if there has been at any other time an instance of the use of a substance also in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous
So what it's going to come down to is whats in her past. If she has had a previous instance of where her use of alcohol was physically dangerous in the past two years then she would fall under the substance abuse category and fail her medical. But as long as she doesn't have other instances of abuse she seems to have skated past any problems with the FAA on this one.

I think the biggest issue she may have is what sponsors decide to stay in support for her and which ones are turned away by this. Cirrus hasn't made any public statements to my knowledge about their future with Patty. Goodyear tires came out a few days after the incident and said they would continue to support her and send her tires. It will be interesting to see who stays on board with her now.

If she loses her license she will not be able to fly without a gov't issued id along with her cert?

Am I correct or wrong?
There are many other types of government issued photo IDs. A passport or state ID card without driving privileges would suffice for example.

damn i never heard about this...

and wtf...driving drunk on a runway?? even if it was after airport hours... seriously, WTF was she thinking?!? obviously not much!!!

people do silly things and make poor choices or ill-thought-out decisions... but come on....this is wild.

"celebrity halo" happens in aviation too i suppose. disappointing.

and while i hope that i should always have good fortune and the benefit of the doubt...i also hope i manage to never do something so boneheaded!!

This was old news. Unfortunately we ALL make mistakes... some bigger ones than others. Wishing her the best, and I see she's scheduled for airshows so hopefully the FAA will be lienient on her, she's an awesome pilot and cute too. :)

This was old news. Unfortunately we ALL make mistakes... some bigger ones than others. Wishing her the best, and I see she's scheduled for airshows so hopefully the FAA will be lienient on her, she's an awesome pilot and cute too. :)

Her job shouldn't even factor into the decision. She should be treated as any other pilot would be. But of course the rich and celebs usually get special treatment.

Back