Pilot tells passengers "I am not qualified to land the plane

LaBeef

:confused:

A Flybe Airlines flight from Cardiff to Paris had to turn around because of fog at Charles De Gaulle Airport. The fog did not force the airport to close. Rather, the pilot, a man with 30 years of experience, had never completed low-visibility training for the particular aircraft that he was flying.

Passengers on the flight were stunned when, 20 minutes shy of De Gaulle, the pilot got on the PA system and, instead of announcing the imminent arrival, said the following:

'Unfortunately I'm not qualified to land the plane in Paris. They are asking for a level two qualification and I only have a level five. We'll have to fly back.'

And fly back they did. The bizarre incident is nothing if not humorous, but I doubt the passengers on the flight were amused.

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said that such a situation was rare, but not unheard of. "There are different classifications of aircraft and when an aircraft is updated, pilot's who have flown an older version have to completely retrain."

Taken from

http://www.gadling.com/2008/12/17/pilot-tells-passengers-i-am-not-qualified-to-land-the-plane/

Re: Pilot tells passengers "I am not qualified to land the p

Better safe then sorry. Isnt Flybe a regional?

Interesting. I can almost hear the uproar of the passengers from here.

Is "level two" qualification sort of like CatI and CatII approaches? I've had to divert before because we are only CatI qualified. It's kind of hard to explain to passengers why we ended up in Greenville, SC when their friend who wasn't flying on one of those "little" planes made it into Charlotte no problem.

You guys aren't certified for Cat II approaches?

Same happens a lot when flying Skywest into SFO.

Happened to us the other day because we had a baby captain and the approach was below his adjusted mins. We had to divert to Portland. Captain didn't announce the details. Just said WX is too low and not getting better, we are heading to PDX.

It happens. I think it might be better to leave out the details to the PAX.

I tell that to my "passengers" all the time but they don't care.

We slowed down today and expected to hold today. BC of a baby captain flying, He had over 10000hrs but we were limited to 300 and 1sm. For about 1hr our destination was ovc at 200 then went up to 400.

But I still felt like an instructor again bc he was all nervous in his seat during the approach.

It happens. I think it might be better to leave out the details to the PAX.
I agree, I would've left out the details to the pax. Just tell them that you're gonna have to divert due to weather. It saves you and your company the embarrassment. You're not lying to them, and you're not putting yourself on the spot either. They're gonna be pissed they're not making it to the destination anyway. Why make it harder on yourself, you know?

I guess the Ejets at Republic aren't cat II either, which surprised me.

Nope. We were going to on the Republic side for Frontier, but when that ended to did the program. I think they look at it as only having to pull that trick out of the bag a few times a year, so not worth the added expense.

We were at Mesa tho...

:confused:

A Flybe Airlines flight from Cardiff to Paris had to turn around because of fog at Charles De Gaulle Airport. The fog did not force the airport to close. Rather, the pilot, a man with 30 years of experience, had never completed low-visibility training for the particular aircraft that he was flying.

Passengers on the flight were stunned when, 20 minutes shy of De Gaulle, the pilot got on the PA system and, instead of announcing the imminent arrival, said the following:

'Unfortunately I'm not qualified to land the plane in Paris. They are asking for a level two qualification and I only have a level five. We'll have to fly back.'

And fly back they did. The bizarre incident is nothing if not humorous, but I doubt the passengers on the flight were amused.

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said that such a situation was rare, but not unheard of. "There are different classifications of aircraft and when an aircraft is updated, pilot's who have flown an older version have to completely retrain."

Taken from

http://www.gadling.com/2008/12/17/pilot-tells-passengers-i-am-not-qualified-to-land-the-plane/

So basically this guy is a "High Mins". :)

Nope. We were told it was happening about 2 years ago and so far, nothing else has been said.

It will come up again after the cancellations yesterday due to the fog.

I agree, I would've left out the details to the pax. Just tell them that you're gonna have to divert due to weather.

Absolutely. You give them the info they need. You are NOT required to give them more than they need to know.

Back