Forgive the headset thread...

ThreeHoler

I've narrowed down my headset search to two: David Clark H10-13S or Pilot USA PA-1771T.

I'm leaning toward the Pilot USAs. They weigh only 11.9 ounces and have ANR. I've heard good things about Pilot USA's top of the line model--the 1779T--but at close to $500 they are a little out of my price range. But at $375, the 1771Ts seem like a good value--the "biggest bang for the buck" as the Pilot USA website puts it.

Any 1771T owners here? If so, I'd appreciate your input. Any and all input is welcome!

I searched the forums for topics relating to the 1771Ts, but couldn't find any. If there are any on here that I somehow missed, I'd appreciate links.

I've got a pair of David Clark 13.4's. They're alright, kind of uncomfortable for my head, but built like a tank.

When I was flying GA aircraft on a regular basis, I had a pair of Lightspeed Twenty 3G's and loved them to death. When I start flying GA aircraft again for real, I'm gonna get a pair of Zulu's. I'd look very seriously at a pair of Lightspeed anythings if I were you.

for the price of the 13.4 you can get a lightspeed 15XLC with ANR. Not built to the same build quality as the DC but their customer service is PHENOMENAL. Had two different issues with them and they were back on friday after shipping them on a monday. The 20-3's seem to be built better but cost a bit more. I'll be trading them in on Zulu's once I get a real job.

On the DC's get the 10-13.4 non-stereo unless you have a hearing deficiency in an ear or something. Save the 15 bucks and not deal with two different rheostats that will bug the hell out of you as they are never balanced.

I have the Pilot USA's and I really like them. I got mine used on Ebay, and even though they've got some wear, they've been really, really good for me. Audio is great, the ANR is good and they're comfy.

I've exchanged a couple emails with the owner of Pilot USA and he's a very nice man, offered a good price to totally refurb them for me.

Zulu suck when you have the windows open when doing a engine run up check (no I'm not going to close the window when it's over 100 degrees outside), but the front row button is awesome. I've been thinking of getting clarity aloft.

Ew. I wore ear plugs under my little Telex headset in the jet and that bugged the crap out of me. If I could avoid putting something in my ear, I would.

for the money, I have been very happy with the
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]LightSPEED QFR Cross Country/c ANR Headset

i found a website that offered to beat the competition by 20% or some such thing. Anyway, I played one website off the other and got a great deal. The headset is lightweight, has ANC and has 20+ decibels of passive. This arrangement works very well for a cessna 172.
[/FONT]

Ew. I wore ear plugs under my little Telex headset in the jet and that bugged the crap out of me. If I could avoid putting something in my ear, I would.

Working on the ramp for over two years earplugs didn't bother me that much. I know Mach has the ear shape one, but not TSO approved. There was another company that does the same thing, but it's 900 dollars I think and they are somewhere in Europe.

I picked a set of FlightCom Denali's up on ebay for a resonable price and couldn't be happier. I was debating between the Lightspeed 30-3g and those and after flying with a couple of FO's with the 30-3g and swapping Im glad I have my Denali's. They are signifigantly lighter, less back ground noise, and the ear seals are a little more comfortable. However the 30-3g has a longer cord and mp3/cell phone imput if that sort of thing tickles you.

I also have 13.4...and agree with the posters above. They are built like a tank but on long x-countries over a couple hours there is a reason they call em david clamps.

I liked in-ear and built my own headset from these:

plantronics_narrowweb__300x455,0.jpg

I cobbled together an adapter to make the 1/8" computer plugs fit the airplane headphones. I bought a project box, 1/8" plugs, and used the wires from a broken headset I had to make the adapter. I bought some Comply tips to fit it. It works nice.

comply-foam-tips-earphone.jpg

Cost me about $40 in parts, including the headset from ebay. If you are handy with a soldering iron and a cheapskate, I will post some instructions.

yes, please do post instructions and the gear you used! That's totally cool! Now all you need to do is add ANC to the mix and it would be a perfect headset.

and here's a link for plugs for those without broken headsets:

http://www.sigtronics.com/air/cables.html

It doesn't need ANC, because it is in-ear. It blocks all outside noise, so the volume is crystal clear, and it blocks out more noise than my ANR DCs.

I plan on hacking up a bluetooth adapter and putting in there so I can talk on my phone on the ground. I left my headset at work, so I will take pics and post instructions later.

Thanks. [EDIT: holy crap those things are overpriced!]

One other thing: don't be surprised when those things crap out; there's a pretty significant impedance mismatch there, and your airplane's audio panel is overdriving the crap out of the earpieces. I also wonder how well you're heard with that microphone.

When I was flying GA aircraft on a regular basis, I had a pair of Lightspeed Twenty 3G's and loved them to death. When I start flying GA aircraft again for real, I'm gonna get a pair of Zulu's. I'd look very seriously at a pair of Lightspeed anythings if I were you.
I LOVE my Twenty 3Gs:bandit: Very comfortable, and lightweight. My neck never hurt after hours in a 152.:)

Thanks. [EDIT: holy crap those things are overpriced!]

One other thing: don't be surprised when those things crap out; there's a pretty significant impedance mismatch there, and your airplane's audio panel is overdriving the crap out of the earpieces. I also wonder how well you're heard with that microphone.

You can get them on eBay for 20 bucks. I put an audio transformer to match the impedence. Mic sounds fine. Any other crticism?

Back