Anyone know anything about MI?

blue_eyed_mommy

Anyone know anything about MI Staffing levels? I take my test on the 10th of Jan but I'm trying to figure out if I have a shot of working around here. I have two small kids and hubby is military in Bay City so it might be hard to move.

I was thinking FNT, DTW, PTK, or MBS? I live about 5 mins from FNT but any of these would work. Anyone know?

Anyone know anything about MI Staffing levels? I take my test on the 10th of Jan but I'm trying to figure out if I have a shot of working around here. I have two small kids and hubby is military in Bay City so it might be hard to move.

I was thinking FNT, DTW, PTK, or MBS? I live about 5 mins from FNT but any of these would work. Anyone know?

i think the FAA might know. give em a call. they are super friendly and extrememly knowledgeable! good luck!

Don't mind bippottl, he's cranky and the latest thread nazi. :rolleyes:

To answer your question, I know that because of the dying economy on a general scale in the Detroit area, most ATC's are taking their families elsewhere. Actually, DTW is experiencing record low staffing and has been in such a condition for many months. Google "Detroit TRACON Staffing" or something similar and a plethora of news articles and press releases and blogs will come up about that topic. I'm a firm believer that the only reason I was picked up by the selection panels for PUBNAT2 was because I had put Michigan as a preference.

From what I understand from my personal research of the likelihood of employment in Michigan, most if not all of the facilities up there are understaffed, not just Detroit.

The most logical thing you can do is actually call. The phone number for Towers and TRACON facilities are almost always in public telephone directories like white/yellow pages. Go straight to the source and let them know of your intentions and inquiries. I'm sure exhausted and disgruntled controllers working overtime on a regular basis just to fill the schedule would tell you the blunt honest truth over the phone.

Be advised that there are no Centers within Michigan state limits. If you want an air traffic control job, it will need to be Terminal (Tower and/or TRACON).

Hope this helps. Also, in the "Search" feature *look up in the colored header bar above this text window* you can locate Michigan-specific threads in this forum with more information.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I will make a call over to FNT because I use to work at the FBO there for 8yrs and my grandfather is still the DE there! I will search the threads as well.

Just a thought also. I am originally from MI and have lived all over the state. If you aren't affraid of a little snow then you might want to look into Traverse City (TVC). It is further north but it's a beautiful place. Plus every year you get to attend the Cherry Festival which is a beautiful thing. The airport is mid to small sized with two runways. Just a thought. Either way enjoy what you get.

I know that D Town is hurting for controllers, rumor has it they are working manditory 6 day work weeks. Western Michigan GRR (gods country), MKG. . . Is doing pretty good on staffing. I would say you would have a pretty good shot of getting something around Detroit.

Just a thought also. I am originally from MI and have lived all over the state. If you aren't affraid of a little snow then you might want to look into Traverse City (TVC). It is further north but it's a beautiful place. Plus every year you get to attend the Cherry Festival which is a beautiful thing. The airport is mid to small sized with two runways. Just a thought. Either way enjoy what you get.

I love TVC, but probably only for vacations! I kind of forgot about the far north. Who knows if I'll even get far enough to pick but I'm really hoping to be able to get FNT, because who wants to live near flint anyway? Plus my son's father is with Pinnacle in DTW and he wants us to stay close. Thanks for the heads up! :):)

My dad is the ATC Mngr at Pontiac. I know they have a list of newbies (some have already started OKC training, some still waiting), but they still need more.

Give them a call. They would be happy to answer any questions you might have and give you a tour.

Chris

My dad is the ATC Mngr at Pontiac. I know they have a list of newbies (some have already started OKC training, some still waiting), but they still need more.

Give them a call. They would be happy to answer any questions you might have and give you a tour.

Chris

Really? I live south of Detroit but would love to get a tour somewhere. I didn't even consider the airport up there.
Thanks for the info.
By the way, I'm testing in Chicago on January 5th. Would love to get to stay in Michigan for the long haul. I just moved back here from Alaska. I'm not ready to move again. But... I would.

Back