High blood pressure

wjmiller3

Dr. Forred,

I just came back from my medical exam, everything was fine except my BP was high, 149/98(they took it 4 times). The examiner said it was could be coffee, nerves, ect. So he said he could hold my app for up to 2 weeks and I could come back and get my bp checked again. My bp has always been on the higher end, I know its largely my own fault, 35yrs old 5'10" 210lbs, dont exercise, eat whatever.

This has scared me a little seeing how now my career will be affected if I dont get this down. I have read some of your posts, and the link you gave on bp a while back. I plan on starting exercising again, eating better, loose some weight, and trying to keep this under control with out meds.

I know I have to change, but other than no caffine, salt, fatty foods, and starting exercising today. Is there anything else that I can do, or shouldn't do that could help get my bp down the few points I need to keep my first class when I go back in 10 days? I'm not expecting miracles, just anything I can do to help I will. Thank you.

I'm in the same boat (25 YOA 5'10" 175 lbs 150/90). My heart Dr. told me to simply walk 5 days a week for 30 minutes (reach a pulse of 130+) and it'll come back down, I'll loose 5 lbs, and I'll be OK...he said come back in 6 weeks, so we'll see.

No, that is it. BTW, the FAA accepts 155/96 as the upper limits of normal for blood pressure although that is not the healthiest.

The 149/98 was the first and lowest of the 4 tries. After coming back twice after 10 minute breaks to check it again, I guess I was getting nervous because I was worried about not passing the exam, it went to 159/99. Hopefuly after a week of no drinking, or eating anything that taste good, I can get it down a few points. Definatly causing a change in eating and exercise habbits though. Thank you for the response.

Also, it's not the end of your career if you have to go on meds for hypertension. All you need (in a nutshell) is a report from your doc with stats on your condition as well as stating that you BP is stable and such. The AME can issue the medical without having to defer to OKC as long as it meets the requirements. (which, as Dr. Forred has pointed out, aren't all that stringent)

The 149/98 was the first and lowest of the 4 tries. After coming back twice after 10 minute breaks to check it again, I guess I was getting nervous because I was worried about not passing the exam, it went to 159/99. Hopefuly after a week of no drinking, or eating anything that taste good, I can get it down a few points. Definatly causing a change in eating and exercise habbits though. Thank you for the response.

I don't know about the office that you go to, but I usually do the vision first, then the b/p. But on request by the pilot I will do the b/p first in case they get nervous about the vision.
I usually try and get them to have a conversation with me about things that make them relax, some talk about family, others talk about flying, just getting then to relax helps the b/p too.

I don't know about the office that you go to, but I usually do the vision first, then the b/p. But on request by the pilot I will do the b/p first in case they get nervous about the vision.
I usually try and get them to have a conversation with me about things that make them relax, some talk about family, others talk about flying, just getting then to relax helps the b/p too.

Patty - I have a question regarding the first class examination at Dr Forred's office. How long does it take and how thorough are the exams? My last appointment with my AME took about 10 to 15 minutes.. i just had to give them a urine sample, did the vision test (color and 20/20) .. b/p and other than that he didn't do an audio test or anything else that I can think of..

I have to renew my medical pretty soon and I am now in Phoenix, haven't decided where to go yet.

thanks for your input

If you fill out the 8500 on-line (yes we give you the link), it takes about 15 minutes and that includes your cup of gourmet coffee:).

We also do the urine, vision 20-20 and color. b/p check and depending on your age the EKG.

And Dr. Forred does the examination, which includes listening to your heart, checking your ears, eyes. But no glove test :yup:.

So I think if you are in our area. come on by we normally have same day/next day appointment availability.

http://www.myflightsurgeon.com/Appointments.html

FWIW, I was always 140 over 80 ish. I cut all sugar and desserts out of my diet as part of a general calorie reduction program. Within two weeks my BP was 95/55. I didn't cut coffee (1/2 pot per day). I felt much better and my sleep was greatly improved.

I really think ditching sugar was the trick!

I just did my first class yesterday and it was a pain in the a$$. Never had to have the "glove check" (my 7th medical) before even though it was no big deal. Then they decided to go off and tell me that I needed glasses for near vision when I can see just fine up close. Without the glasses, I would fail the distance check. Anyways, without ranting, I cant suggest who NOT to go to in the Northern KC area, what a pain. Almost 1 1/2 hours at the office.

Update:

Went back today to see if after two days of no sodium, no caffine, no alcohol, and eating lots of fruits and vegtables if my pressure had gone down enough to get my medical. First try 130/90, I guess that goes to show how bad I was eating (and drinking)...

Anyway, I know it shouldn't take getting to this level to make a change, but a big change in eating, exercising and dropping some pounds has come. Pretty big scare the last couple of days wondering if I was going to have to start checking the "have you ever been denied" box. High bp runs in the family, so I guess we will see if I can keep it under control without meds.

Thanks Doc for the response...

I just did my first class yesterday and it was a pain in the a$$. Never had to have the "glove check" (my 7th medical) before even though it was no big deal. Then they decided to go off and tell me that I needed glasses for near vision when I can see just fine up close. Without the glasses, I would fail the distance check. Anyways, without ranting, I cant suggest who NOT to go to in the Northern KC area, what a pain. Almost 1 1/2 hours at the office.

I'm due for my 1st class renewal in the KC area and Ray Baker is no longer practicing medicine so who is this person you would NOT recommend? I don't wanna end up there it sounds like.

Back