Smokey Bay Air

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Smokey Bay Air out of Homer Alaska is hiring, they have some fairly high mins, but if you've got the time, and want to come north, they do some pretty cool stuff. THey call it off airport but really, the only off airport stuff they do is land on some really long beaches. The legs are short (20-30minutes maximum) but there's a lot of them, and the equipment is good.

Mins:

CPL/IR
2nd Class Medical
2500TT
100hrs last 12 months
250 Time in 206
2000PIC Airplanes

Cool people, and homer's a really cool place, homer is where I'd live if I wasn't going to college.

-pat

Bugger. I've been wanting to get up to Alaska. It's hard to make the commitment without some sort of job though. Quite a bit of a drive. Anyway, I'm sitting at just about 2000/1000 right now with an A+P. Suppose the multi time won't really matter since it's flying singles, but it says they're looking for someone for the Summer of '09, so I should meet all the requirements by then except for the 250 C206 time. Any idea if that's a must or not? Any other info about the job? I'll probably end up shooting off a resume either way just to see what happens, but thought I'd ask first.

I wonder if they pay you enough to live actually live in Homer.

Yeah that is is a swell town, but it remains the most expensive place I've been in this state. Check out real estate prices over there.

I wonder if they pay you enough to live actually live in Homer.

Yeah that is is a swell town, but it remains the most expensive place I've been in this state. Check out real estate prices over there.

Smokey Bay pays really well from what i've heard, but I've never talked with them about specifics, because I've never been available to work down there cuz I've got college and all.

The terrain is really inhospitable though, typically south coast/PWS terrain, rocky crags, bad wx, no places to land, etc. still looks cool.

It would be a really cool area to fly, and no doubt Homer is an enjoyable place.

Sorry about the negative remark above...I musta been in a bum mood.

Thanks for posting this here, it's a major help for those of us who are not at PAMR and are out of the information loop.

It would be a really cool area to fly, and no doubt Homer is an enjoyable place.

Sorry about the negative remark above...I musta been in a bum mood.

Thanks for posting this here, it's a major help for those of us who are not at PAMR and are out of the information loop.

Ohh, I didn't feel anything negative about it, Homer can be really expensive. Inputs always good.

if you have previous alaska bush or mountain time they (smokey bay) may hire with lesser total time. it can be very tuff and challenging flying. they fly into a few "relatively" short strips (1800 ft) and do so most often at gross with some very tricky winds. a combo of strong sea breezes and the very typical mountain winds such as wind shear down drafts etc. they re a scheduled commuter and fly every hr into 3 villages with the longest leg being 15 minutes. during the busy summerpilots fullfill their 14 hr duty day and 8 hr flying limit. so imagine working for 14 hrs strait, flying 8 hrs with the longest leg being only 15 minutes, demanding passengers asking to load on just a few more heavy bags oh and you have to load and unload the plane. try to do these 3 villages in 1 hr, stay on time all day for every hour!!! i have done 40 take offs and landings in one day. they dont just do scheduled commuter stuff, they do land on beaches, rough beaches with scattered debree left by the last hi tide. agai strong winds at gross and not all the beaches are long.... i've flown charter in king airs, twin cessnas and twotter stuff but the flying done by this company is a blast!!!! maybe the funneszt in AK!!!! and yes Homer can be affordable:) is
Smokey Bay Air out of Homer Alaska is hiring, they have some fairly high mins, but if you've got the time, and want to come north, they do some pretty cool stuff. THey call it off airport but really, the only off airport stuff they do is land on some really long beaches. The legs are short (20-30minutes maximum) but there's a lot of them, and the equipment is good.

Mins:

CPL/IR
2nd Class Medical
2500TT
100hrs last 12 months
250 Time in 206
2000PIC Airplanes

Cool people, and homer's a really cool place, homer is where I'd live if I wasn't going to college.

-pat

if you have previous alaska bush or mountain time they (smokey bay) may hire with lesser total time. it can be very tuff and challenging flying. they fly into a few "relatively" short strips (1800 ft) and do so most often at gross with some very tricky winds. a combo of strong sea breezes and the very typical mountain winds such as wind shear down drafts etc. they re a scheduled commuter and fly every hr into 3 villages with the longest leg being 15 minutes. during the busy summerpilots fullfill their 14 hr duty day and 8 hr flying limit. so imagine working for 14 hrs strait, flying 8 hrs with the longest leg being only 15 minutes, demanding passengers asking to load on just a few more heavy bags oh and you have to load and unload the plane. try to do these 3 villages in 1 hr, stay on time all day for every hour!!! i have done 40 take offs and landings in one day. they dont just do scheduled commuter stuff, they do land on beaches, rough beaches with scattered debree left by the last hi tide. agai strong winds at gross and not all the beaches are long.... i've flown charter in king airs, twin cessnas and twotter stuff but the flying done by this company is a blast!!!! maybe the funneszt in AK!!!! and yes Homer can be affordable:) is
Thanks for the great info! ANybody got an idea what they pay? I have 2300tt 1200multi 1700 pic and 200 in AK in a 207. My current 121 gig looks like it could be headed for the Big F and I am trying to get the resume in order and get a few ducks lined up in a row.

Back