Taking a dog to China

BeechBoy

Has anyone ever taken a dog to China? I have a general idea of the rules (30 day quarantine) but was wondering if anyone has ever done this and, if so, how your experience went.

Actually, dogs as pets are very popular in China. So popular that the government has had to issue rules limiting the number allowed per household in Beijing.

But I don't know anyone who has taken their dog to China and endured the hassle. Good luck!

Pat Murphy

I brought my dog and cat over to Macau SAR China. I found it easier to have someone on each end ( USA & China). Download all the documents from the Chinese website, I forget which one whether it's agriculture or not. Then match it with what is required from the US sites. There is a sequence of shots that must be done chronologically just before departure as well as a vet check up. Basically it's that easy. I had lot's of conversation with the chinese vet's that did my paperwork and they explained to me clearly what they expected from my US vet on his end of the paperwork.
I also scheduled the air travel to be done on newer wide body aircraft. You'll also have to check each airlines pet policy. I used EVA air and did all travelling on a new B777. Let me know when you get closer to a decision.

And to the previous poster.... Korea is known for their Dog cuisine not China.They eat about as much dog in China as we do in the States.
just wanted to point out your ignorance.....

In this economy it might be ignorant to assume that we aren't in fact meeting the RDA on dog here or anywhere else. I for one am looking forward to sitting down later today for the Turdoguckon the wifey's cooking.........a turkey stuffed with dog stuffed with duck wrapped with bacon. Ummmm........bacon.

And to the previous poster.... Korea is known for their Dog cuisine not China.They eat about as much dog in China as we do in the States.

I am half korean and I lived part of my life in Korea, and I can say that eating dog is no longer a common practice. There are dog dishes in Korea and China, but also Phillipines and Vietnam. I believe the only place where you will find it somewhat common is in Vietnam, but come on people, dog is not eaten very commonly in Korea anymore. In fact, it is illegal to process/manufacture or sell dog meat in Korea.

Ok, smart guy. I guess there wasn't a dog farm across from our hotel that raised German Shepards, skinned them, sold the meat to the locals and then took the hides, dyed them to look like tigers, leopards and various other exotic animals and sold them in town on the street corners.
So, you wanna tell me anything else I've seen with my own two eyes?

I got some really bad food poisoning from eating dog sausage in China once. I didn't find out it was dog until after. I got sick. I have been to restaurants in China that have dog and donkey meat on the menu.

First of all, let me apologize to those I have offended.
I live in China and have not seen this but knows it goes on in a small cottage industry. Let's put this to bed for once and for all and help the guy with the question of getting his dog to China.
Once again, I apologize for offending anyone or questioning your veracity.

Hi I used to work in China and apparently dogs are allowed but they have restrictions (at least in Beijing), usually only small to medium sized dogs would be allowed. Sorry I got no extra info on that.

good luck (you might need it out there)

Back