Looking for a Seneca in Dallas

Hubbs

So, I was in the process of getting my comm multi add-on down in Houston, and just after being signed off to take my checkride (which was supposed to be today) someone went flying after me. Long story short, the nose gear collapsed and the plane is probably totaled.

I have thus decided to return to Dallas and try to finish up there.

In an ideal world I would like to finish my multi in a seneca I, although if I can find a really good deal on something else I may reconsider.

US Flight Academy has a couple of seneca Is for around $250/hr but I would like to find something a little cheaper. Does anyone know of any good deals out there for senecas or multis?

the nose gear collapsed and the plane is probably totaled.

Common incident in the Seneca. There is an AD out on the nose gear, calling for regular inspections. People tend to accuse the pilot of nose first landings, but that doesn't appear to be what generally causes it. Rather, an improper rigging of the nose gear.

Our flight school went out of business right before a ME student of mine was about to climb into the Seneca. We found another one to rent for his checkride in Jonesboro, AR. ($234/hour right now.)

So $250/hour doesn't sound awful. You should go ahead and finish up right now while you're freshly trained, no matter what the cost per hour. The longer you wait, the more your skills will decay and you'll just end up spending any money you save re-prepping for the checkride.

Common incident in the Seneca. There is an AD out on the nose gear, calling for regular inspections. People tend to accuse the pilot of nose first landings, but that doesn't appear to be what generally causes it. Rather, an improper rigging of the nose gear.

Our flight school went out of business right before a ME student of mine was about to climb into the Seneca. We found another one to rent for his checkride in Jonesboro, AR. ($234/hour right now.)

So $250/hour doesn't sound awful. You should go ahead and finish up right now while you're freshly trained, no matter what the cost per hour. The longer you wait, the more your skills will decay and you'll just end up spending any money you save re-prepping for the checkride.

It was kinda funny, in a perverse sort of way, I had been talking to the instructor about the AD on the nose gear then 15 minutes later he goes to fly with another student and the next I hear is that the thing is collapsed.

$250/hr isn't the end of the world as I will probably just have to fly once with one of their instructors and then the checkride, it is just frustrating as I had been paying $182/hr.

Do you think it is better to try to find a seneca to finish up, or will any twin do?

Thanks

Do you think it is better to try to find a seneca to finish up, or will any twin do?

You're clearly better off in a Seneca: you know the systems, you know the v-speeds, you know its performance. And geez, you've already learned to land the darned thing. ;)

Something like a Seminole or Duchess would be a lot easier to fly, but it would assuredly cost you more money as you became familiar with the airplane.

However, you may consider what you will get your MEI in, if you intend to get that at all. If it's inevitable that you will end up in some other twin besides a Seneca, you might choose to go ahead and suck up the cost right now of becoming familiar with another airplane.

Got your message when we landed in Kerrville today. Congrats on finishing!

Care to share your experience with the flight school and examiner in Dallas?

Back