Academy books ?

Jerz

I'm curious what books are used for instruction at the academy. I saw in a post where Mugenfan** mentioned that you wil receive a cd with everything in pdf form.
Also, someone mentioned to me it would be good to review the 7110.65 - I am wondering if this is one of the books/something we must be familiar with because if so, I'd like to go ahead and get it printed out to review.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

You will get a CD with all the academy lessons to take with you, however you do not get this until the end of the Academy.

The 7110.65 is very important, however it can be somewhat overwhelming to someone with no ATC experience. I would suggest looking through it, though. You can get a pdf copy by simply searching 7110.365 on google. Probably would not be a good idea to print it out (it's rather large) and you'll get your own copy at the Academy.

I wouldn't really recommend looking through the 7110.65. I went through the enroute option and we hardly looked at it directly. They did give us one as part of our training materials, however, the other printed training materials they give you reference the 7110.65 directly in not such a "dry way" the 7110.65 does. I also had to go through the basics course and we never had to look up specifics in it. It was just presented to us as this is the 7110.65 and this is what it contains.

Jerz - are you going to a NJ facility?

No I'm supposed to be headed to Raleigh actually, I'm just from Jersey and EWR is my "home" airport I guess you could say. I live not too far from there.

FAA_ATC, I found a copy of it on the FAA website and it'll be about $55 to print and bind it at Kinko's. Will I get a physical copy of it for sure at the academy ? I don't mind printing it out now because I figure it will be a couple of months at least before OKC, so I'd like to get familiar with it and I don't want to be staring at my cpu for hours.

No I'm supposed to be headed to Raleigh actually, I'm just from Jersey and EWR is my "home" airport I guess you could say. I live not too far from there.

Oh ok... nevermind then. I'm about 15 mins from EWR, so I'm in the same general area, but I'm looking for people who are going somewhere in the state. Anyway... *unhijack thread*

I wouldn't really recommend looking through the 7110.65. I went through the enroute option and we hardly looked at it directly. They did give us one as part of our training materials, however, the other printed training materials they give you reference the 7110.65 directly in not such a "dry way" the 7110.65 does. I also had to go through the basics course and we never had to look up specifics in it. It was just presented to us as this is the 7110.65 and this is what it contains.

True, I will be going for terminal. I guess I'm wondering what material will be good to get familiar with before I get there so that I will already have some knowledge in mind.

Don't worry about academics before you get to the academy. It's all spoon fed to you. They can teach a monkey to learn this stuff the way they present it to us. While at the academy I have seen, a few individuals waste the money and have their own personal print outs of the lesson plans for $55 a pop; only to stop doing this soon after we move to the next block of instructions. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

Don't worry about academics before you get to the academy. It's all spoon fed to you. They can teach a monkey to learn this stuff the way they present it to us. While at the academy I have seen, a few individuals waste the money and have their own personal print outs of the lesson plans for $55 a pop; only to stop doing this soon after we move to the next block of instructions. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

good to hear thanks

The only thing you might want to study is the Aero Center map (if your going enroute), as that's the first big test you'll take and you use it all the time. I know StuckMic.com has a link somewhere.

The only thing you might want to study is the Aero Center map (if your going enroute), as that's the first big test you'll take and you use it all the time. I know StuckMic.com has a link somewhere.

k thanks, yeah I hope to go enroute...

Back