CJC Flight Attendant Contract Highlights

v1valarob

So I managed to steal a copy of Colgan Air flight attendants contract with the USWU.

Here are a few of the noteworthy things that we as pilots either do not get at all or sometimes get if whoever we are talking at HQ is in a good mood:

Sec5.B.2 – Lines and reserve lines shall be scheduled to contain one calendar day off in any seven consecutive calendar days.

Sec5.B.7 – Except in the case of a “stand up” where the break is not a legal rest (i.e. release to report) the company will schedule a line such that a flight attendant receives at least 9 hours of rest, release to report, when away from base overnight, and at least 10 hours to rest release to report in base.

Sec5.B.8 – A trip will not exceed 5 consecutive days or 4 nights away from base. A flight attendant may voluntarily agree to extend this period to 6 consecutive days or 5 consecutive nights.

Sec5.C.1 – Unless prevented by operations, the company will post on line a bid package for the following month available to flight attendants on line at crew.colganair.com at 1200EST on the thirteenth (13th) day of the current month.

Sec5.C.2 – Bidding will close at 1200EST, 5 days after the bid opening

Sec5.C.3 – Lines will be awarded by base, in seniority order, to flight attendants who are permanently based at a base and eligible to bid. Awards will be posted on CrewTrac and online via the crew web site, no later than 7 days after bid closing.

Sec5.D.5 – An off duty flight attendant will not be junior manned to sit home reserve or hot reserve.

Sec5.D.4.c – Flight attendants who are off duty. When selecting an off duty flight attendant, the company will first call flight attendants who are in the base of the flying, in reverse seniority order, then in other bases, in reverse seniority order.

Sec5.H.3 – In circumstances where delays would require flight attendants to fly to the FAR limitations, the company will minimize these occurrences through the use of reserves consistent with the needs of the operation. If a flight attendant is extended beyond 14 hours when reserves are available, he/she will be compensated for all time in excess of 14 hours at 125% of his her hourly rate.

Sec5.H.5 – A meal period will normally be provided to a flight attendant who is scheduled for a duty day of more than ten hours without 60 minutes of ground time. The flight attendant will receive one hour of pay credit in exchange for missing a meal period.

Sec18.J.2.a – Junior Manning pursuant to sec5.D.4.c. A flight attendant who is junior manned will be paid one hundred and fifty percent (150%) of actual block hours flown.

Sec18.N – Extension Pay – A line holder who has flying added to his/her trips shall not have such time added outside the original calendar day. The flight attendants will receive a pay credit for the additional legs flown of one hundred twenty five percent (125%) of block time.

Sec19.C.1 – A flight attendant who deadheads by use of surface transportation for one hour or more shall be credited with fifty percent of the applicable hourly rate for time spent en route.
The only way to guarantee thing like this for us is to VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!

So I managed to steal a copy of Colgan Air flight attendants contract with the USWU.

Here are a few of the noteworthy things that we as pilots either do not get at all or sometimes get if whoever we are talking at HQ is in a good mood:

The only way to guarantee thing like this for us is to VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!

First of all that contract is a joke. You forgot:

1- No strike clause.

2- No per diem for day trips.

3- A mere 34 cent raise.

The junior manned rate is a joke. Lets say you fly 5 hours.

Per the contract, what the FAs get.

5.0 + 2.5 (150% of block) = 7.5 hrs pay

What the pilots get paid...

5.0 + 3.75 = 8.75 hrs pay

Sounds like a concession to me.

The flight attendants got fooled. Honestly DT in SYR is managements pawn.

If by the grace of god that ALPA succeeds and we negotiate a contract I wouldn't be surprised to see the flight attendants getting very upset that they aren't getting what they should. They signed that god forsaken contract and they should live with it. I applaud those that rejected it, seeing through the smoke at how open it is to interpretation.

First of all that contract is a joke. You forgot:

1- No strike clause.

2- No per diem for day trips.

3- A mere 34 cent raise.

The junior manned rate is a joke. Lets say you fly 5 hours.

Per the contract, what the FAs get.

5.0 + 2.5 (150% of block) = 7.5 hrs pay

What the pilots get paid...

5.0 + 3.75 = 8.75 hrs pay

Sounds like a concession to me.

If by the grace of god that ALPA succeeds and we negotiate a contract I wouldn't be surprised to see the flight attendants getting very upset that they aren't getting what they should. They signed that god forsaken contract and they should live with it. I applaud those that rejected it, seeing through the smoke at how open it is to interpretation.

Their contract is a joke, however in EWR i still don't think that I have met one flight attendant that either has a copy of their contract, or voted for it.

You can't expect a steelworker's union to adequately represent FAs.

Just like you can't expect a trucker's union to represent air line pilots.

Just like you can't expect a trucker's union to represent air line pilots.

I'm fairly happy with my contract...from "that trucker's union". A heck of a lot better than some ALPA negotiated contracts. Sure, it's got room to change, but what contract doesn't?

Their contract is a joke, however in EWR i still don't think that I have met one flight attendant that either has a copy of their contract, or voted for it.

Umm, I have mine and most of us do now. They needed a 2nd printing and I believe the ones who didn't have it before, now do.
The contract was voted on before I started, and I too, haven't met anyone who voted for it. Lord knows it's not perfect and there is a lot wrong with it, but it is better than how it was before.

Umm, I have mine and most of us do now. They needed a 2nd printing and I believe the ones who didn't have it before, now do.
The contract was voted on before I started, and I too, haven't met anyone who voted for it. Lord knows it's not perfect and there is a lot wrong with it, but it is better than how it was before.

Qgar- I appreciate your commitment to making it better.

The "dues checkoff card" was ratification, certifying the union and the contract. Management pulled a fast one on the flight attendants.

I think as we grow and the flight attendants see what the pilots can negotiate (hopefully) they will de-certify USW and go with AFA. The true FA union.

A no strike clause? Isn't that kind of like cutting your own throat? What happens when you want to negotiate a new contact?

Not only do we have a 16 year contact here at Eagle but there is a no strike clause also. :banghead:

Wow really?

A strike is the only tool that a labor group has in negotiations. Management can stall (see: PNCL 05-Pres) and do other things to get what they want.

Not only do we have a 16 year contact here at Eagle but there is a no strike clause also. :banghead:

Gonzo,

Do some research, ask some of the older pilots at Eagle about why they signed the 16 year contract. As a starter; the ALPA pilots at Eagle were able to create a single carrier/List from a giant whipsaw operation that was going to be a Freedom/gojets of the past. The pilots also set in several key protections and improvements. That contract helped many in this industry as well as those at eagle. It may not seem so great now, but if you look at what is stopped and what it protected you will be impressed with the accomplishments of those pilots.

Good Luck

Gonzo,

Do some research, ask some of the older pilots at Eagle about why they signed the 16 year contract. As a starter; the ALPA pilots at Eagle were able to create a single carrier/List from a giant whipsaw operation that was going to be a Freedom/gojets of the past. The pilots also set in several key protections and improvements. That contract helped many in this industry as well as those at eagle. It may not seem so great now, but if you look at what is stopped and what it protected you will be impressed with the accomplishments of those pilots.

Good Luck

I have done research the contract is one of the reasons I wanted to come to Eagle.

P.S. The no strike clause was a LOA added to the contract.

I have done research the contract is one of the reasons I wanted to come to Eagle.

P.S. The no strike clause was a LOA added to the contract.

Good job. A lot of folks dont research the contract whenthey work at an Airline, not to mention before getting there. Its important to9 know what you are getting into when you start a career. While I agree that a no strike clause has some downsides its really a no strike/no lockout clause which adds a little to the situation. But thats another story. Good Job, Eagle is a great airline and I wish you and your pilots lots of luck.

Paul

A no-lockout clause. Thats like saying a no-alien invasion clause -- its impossible not to see a potential lockout coming, they have to train all the scabs on the equipment after all.

How many airline strikes have there been in the last 20 years? 1?

So, really, under the RLA, a no-strike clause doesn't hurt too much, especially if there's a no lockout clause.

You know, good or bad, the FA contract is better than ours at the moment. ;)

Although, I do believe we will be rectifying that situation in the near future. :nana2:

I doubt they will even care. the F/A contract at Colgan is probably a close replica of Pinnacles F/As. And our FAs at 9E dont really care about much. They get a shiny bag and they delighted. Unfortunately the ones that are looking to make a career at Pinnacle as an FA lose out. about 90% of our FAs figure they wont be there long and could care less about a decent contract.

Also, our FAs union leadership really sold out its members from what I heard. I hope Colgan FAs have put some quality people at the top to lead. GOOD LUCK to all of us

One thing to learn not only from the CJC FA's contract but OUR ALPA contract.....avoid soft language at all possible things like "normally," "at discretion" or "unless hindered by operations" will be taken to extremes by this management. Yeah, it's "normally" done, but guess what? Flights are delayed, so we're running abnormal ops, so we can dance around it all day. If it's at the discretion of the company, they can stop doing it at will. If operations can hinder something you want, it will. Go for iron clad language unless you want to see how creative Pinnacle Holdings can get with interpreations of the rules. And believe me, they can get creative.

Back