Well I made the jump!

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I am going to become a career flight instructor!

After working at QX on the ramp in SEA and talking to all the crews, I realized that the airlines were not for me. I enjoy flight instructing way too much to leave it for a different full time flying job. Last week I went through the business licensing processes and was offered to have a position at a fairly large flying club here. I feel like I am impacting peoples lives more when I help them learn something. I hope to get my name out there for aircraft relocation and ferrying services as well.

Be prepared for lots of posts on how to figure out taxes and what I need to do!

I am going to keep working at QX in the mean time so I have some money and health care. So any of you QX pilots stop and say hi. I am the one cleaning your toilets on spots 9-C16A Friday-Tuesday in the PMs :) .

I am going to become a career flight instructor!

Congrats! I wish there were more career instructors in the world.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not a bad life if you're good at it. Home every night, great people, wide variety of planes to fly, flexible schedule, etc. Pay isn't bad either if you can convince people you're worth more than the 200 hour ERAU grad at the next airport over. I have no interest in the airline life.

Thanks guys!

I moved back in with my parents to make it a reality. Kinda of a wierd jump moving back in with them again. :laff:

Congrats! That really is the best way to enjoy aviation. I wish I had never gone to the regionals. It is ruining aviation for me. I just wish I could CFI without having to live with my parents :(.

<---regional guy looking for a career change.

We are the opposite, after talking to so many QX, they made me want to be a pilot maybe for them someday. Hopefully in another year or two they will be hiring. The only thing I miss about working at QX is the direct flights from Spokane to LAX and SAN.

Yeah I work on the ramp for QX in BOI. Being around our pilots helped me decide the airlines weren't the place for me. I'm instructing now and trying to give my students their money's worth. Not easy for a low time guy like myself since I still have so much to learn.

i am debating it as well. i have never wanted to go airlines; corp. would be ok though. but you can earn a decent wage as a flight instructor, maybe not 120K/year, but not everyone needs that much money

I'm instructing now and trying to give my students their money's worth. Not easy for a low time guy like myself since I still have so much to learn.

I enjoy flight instructing way too much to leave it for a different full time flying job.

That is great attitude and it blows your low time out of the water IMO. Stay away from being a CFI by default. Flight Instructors are very special people. You either have it or you don't have it. Being a teacher is the great ability to find out the best way each of his/her students learn. We all have much to learn, always...even teachers. Need more CFI's around like you guys.

LOL, I think I just figured out how to multi-quote by accident .....NOPE nevermind, didn't come out right.

I get paid better than a 2 year regional FO to flight instruct, but with that said, I just don't think there is enough pay in this area to make it my career. I think I could probably max out at 50k or so, but I need a little more than that.

I enjoy it and still enjoy it after 2 years full time.

i am debating it as well. i have never wanted to go airlines; corp. would be ok though. but you can earn a decent wage as a flight instructor, maybe not 120K/year, but not everyone needs that much money

I do. Ya sure there you betchya! ;)

Back