Commercial Requirements

HeyEng

So I was reviewing the requirements for the commercial and have a question about the "20 Hours Dual". I am assuming that this is dual time towards the commercial rating, ONLY, right? -OR- are you able to use the time for say your instrument rating for it as well? It is a little confusing and not sure what time (if any) can be used towards the 20 hours of dual. If I get 20 hours of dual for my IR, will I also need an additional 10 hours dual for the commercial? Man...this is confusing! :whatever:

If I get 20 hours of dual for my IR, will I also need an additional 10 hours dual for the commercial? Man...this is confusing!

The IR alleviates you from having to get any instrument training for the Commercial, but the policy of the FAA has been that this doesn't diminish the number of hour required for the Commercial. So if you don't do 10 hours of instrument training, you need to spend that 10 hours doing something else Commercial-ish.

The net result is that the IR training has no effect on the number of hours required for the Commercial.

The IR alleviates you from having to get any instrument training for the Commercial, but the policy of the FAA has been that this doesn't diminish the number of hour required for the Commercial. So if you don't do 10 hours of instrument training, you need to spend that 10 hours doing something else Commercial-ish.

The net result is that the IR training has no effect on the number of hours required for the Commercial.

This is the 250 TT required, correct? If I have 20 hours of dual towards my IR, would this count towards the commerical requirement? So...if I have 20 hours of dual for my IR and 10 hours dual for the complex requirement, this would meet the minimums?

So...if I have 20 hours of dual for my IR and 10 hours dual for the complex requirement, this would meet the minimums?

No. 61.129(a)(3) says "20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—..." The training you received for the IR was in areas of operation 61.65(c). Not much overlap.

The basic idea is no double counting of training hours, so you need a minimum of 20 hours of training for your initial commercial certificate. Realistically, it's going to take at least that long, assuming you have a CFI that's going to push you on performance.

Back