Flying while sick?

popaviator

I have come across a bit of a viral infection and am still plugging away as to stay on schedule. Any advice or past experiences where any of you guys had to keep flying even though you were sick? How did you deal with it and any tips of how to nip the cold in the bud?........being sick and flying sucks.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have come across a bit of a viral infection and am still plugging away as to stay on schedule. Any advice or past experiences where any of you guys had to keep flying even though you were sick? How did you deal with it and any tips of how to nip the cold in the bud?........being sick and flying sucks.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Don't forget the Afrin!! We actually keep some on board the plane at all times just in case.

I would strongly recommend taking a full day off to do nothing but sleep. No sense spreading whatever you have around to everyone else in the metal tube.

The FAA sort of frowns on people flying while sick. Not that people don't still do it though. And then give what ever they've got to everybody they fly with.

I'm sat at home here getting over a head cold. I feel fine except for the slight feeling of pressure in my ears and a nagging headache. I don't get sick very often but when I do I try to stay on the ground (and away from other flight crew members). I can also state that I really don't want to spend several hours cooped up in a small, enclosed space with someone who is obviously not feeling well, coughing, sneezing etc.

I second the suggestion to stay home for a day and rest. First of all, as a CFI, no way do I want to pick up an illness from a student. Second, you'd be surprised if you took a close look at your performance while sick. Your reaction time goes way up, your situation awareness goes down, and generally everything gets worse. The bad part is, you often won't notice it.

Hot Toddy:

2 oz bourbon, whiskey, or brandy
1 Tbsp Honey
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Top it off with water as hot as you can stand (for a 6 oz glass)

Stir, drink, repeat. Take the day off.

flying is a mental game and being sick can impare your faculties enough to possibly make you unsafe this may not be the case every time,so you should evaluate your condition and ask your self am i really safe to fly.I have scrubbed 2 flights so far just because i had a stressful day(and the weather was PERFECT,IM MEAN PERFECT!!!!)

aviod anything that will dehydrate you....um like alcohol.....drink WATER.....LOTS AND LOTS OF IT,if your urine is not clear drink more water.....more more more

My wife and I both came down with a mix of viral and bacterial infections recently. So we went to the Dr. and they gave us both anti-biotics (10 days). Went to my AME for my 1st class medical a few days later and the Dr told me to not even try to fly until I finish ALL of my antibiotics. She basically said she wasn't going to ground me as long as I promised not to go flying. So here I sit.

Call in sick. Never, never, never fly sick. It negatively effects your flying and it makes others around you sick.

I would say, calling in sick is the right thing to do... But, that depends on your employer. My last company was going to fire a guy from my class for calling in sick (though never stated that way). He was on first year probation, he received a call from the Chief Pilot hours after calling in sick to review his employment. After a month and half of begging to keep his job, they allowed him to stay... probably on super, duber, secret, double probation. I sure don't miss the fear there...

I always Vitamin C overload. It might be in my head but it feels like it cuts the sick time by quite a bit.

I flew from DFW-TUL-DFW with a head cold once. I seriously thought my eardrums were going to blow.

Never Again.

I agree with others...call in sick. Don't get other crewmembers sick.

I love what they do here; you're sick? Go do your sims for the period. So let me get this straight...I am sick and you want me to go sit in a box with other guys for 4 hours? Great idea! :banghead:

I always Vitamin C overload. It might be in my head but it feels like it cuts the sick time by quite a bit.

Yes I agree that is what is in those expensive "cold remedies" sold in powder or juice form. 3-4 grams of Vitamin C for a few days works great.

Illness
Medication
Stress
Alcohol
Fatigue
Emotion

Use this model and if you have any doubt, especially as a student pilot, you prolly shouldn't be flying.

Take a day or two off....Good excuse to lay in bed all day and go over the oral exam guide and PTS.

Back