Difficulty of ATC Basics?

moulds80

I recently toured a facility and a developmental air traffic controller said that the initial 5 weeks of ATC basics was one of the hardest parts for him as OTS students are essentially asked to learn in 5 weeks what you learn in 2 years of CTI schooling. Does anyone who went through it agree with that, or was ATC Basics just an “orientation” for the academy.

I didn't go through ATC Basics in OKC, but I joined the military and went to their basics course....they cram a ton of info down your throat in 12 weeks. It wasn't that hard, it was basically remembering stuff, then dumping it...that's what you should do....after the test, dump it from your brain. I'm sure the basics course in OKC is just like the military, designed to weed out the people who have absolutely no shot....I'm not really sure if it even does that anymore from what I've heard. Then the brunt of your training will be On-The-Job and that is where you will really learn what you need to know.

I didn't go through ATC Basics in OKC, but I joined the military and went to their basics course....they cram a ton of info down your throat in 12 weeks. It wasn't that hard, it was basically remembering stuff, then dumping it...that's what you should do....after the test, dump it from your brain. I'm sure the basics course in OKC is just like the military, designed to weed out the people who have absolutely no shot....I'm not really sure if it even does that anymore from what I've heard. Then the brunt of your training will be On-The-Job and that is where you will really learn what you need to know.

:yeahthat:

Study a lot in basics. They will go over what you need to learn when you get into Terminal/Tower/Enroute training again.

If you get Randy as a lead instructor, basics will be cake. I don't know how he does it, but he manages to cover ALL the material at a quick pace, while simultaneously drilling the information into you. If you show up and pay attention, basics will be no problem.

This class is unfortunately designed to pass you. Even if you're not of quality stock, the instructors will go out of their way to make sure you learn it anyways. They will not make any evaluation about you on whether you are capable. They will only evaluate whether you know the material in the lessons.

Basics should not be a source of anxiety or fear. It should be considered a vacation in a ###### city.

If you get Randy as a lead instructor, basics will be cake. I don't know how he does it, but he manages to cover ALL the material at a quick pace, while simultaneously drilling the information into you. If you show up and pay attention, basics will be no problem.

This class is unfortunately designed to pass you. Even if you're not of quality stock, the instructors will go out of their way to make sure you learn it anyways. They will not make any evaluation about you on whether you are capable. They will only evaluate whether you know the material in the lessons.
randy wont be teaching anymore.

i havent been to OKC yet, but my friend did and she got back from her En Route training in July. i asked her if there was anything i could study to get ready for Basics and she told me not to bother because it was so easy.

i still asked her for her books anyway so i can just make sure...haha

i havent been to OKC yet, but my friend did and she got back from her En Route training in July. i asked her if there was anything i could study to get ready for Basics and she told me not to bother because it was so easy.

Do you live in an ATC compound or something? I didn't know so many ATC people could be concentrated in such a small area....:p

Basics was pretty easy it's after that is when it gets tough. Non radar is more stressful as the material is a bit difficult to get your head around, plus you run scenarios with instructors so there is more application than bookwork. I'm sure you will be fine, just keep at it every day when you get to that point. Best of luck :p

My opinion is that you get out what you put in. Some people have to study a lot and some people don't. Basics is a lot of information in a short amount of time but the instructors are excellent at making sure you know it. They are also very available if you have questions or don't understand something. Everyone wants you to succeed. More importantly as a class we want all of us to succeed.

It's a lot of fun. I like it.

doomedkitty.jpg

Congrats! You're going to PEPC on my birthday!! I'm headng to ZNY myself

Basics is really easy and very dull, also if you are en route a lot of stuff that won't pertain to your job. Also the weather portion is just brutal.

Back