In honor of our Veterans.....

Qgar

I want to be the first to wish all our JC, as well as other military people, a very happy Veterans Day. Words cannot adequately express the extreme respect and admiration I have for you guys/gals. You're a very special breed and please know that we regular citizens appreciate all your sacrifices for this great country of ours! :nana2:

Always a pleasure, with much emphasis on always. It really means a lot to me to be a part of something important.

Special thanks to those who are away from their families right this moment...my bro Matt is in Afghanistan until February. If you see this, Matt: THANK YOU!!!

I wrote this on a Pilots forum this morning and thought I would share it with you.

<TABLE class=EC_MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in">I don't know what you do when you are at a place and they play the star spangled Banner. But, here is what I do each time. I have four WWII friends that I video taped for a class on LIVING HISTORY OF WWII. So as I am standing there with my hand over my heart looking aloft at OLD GLORY. I go through a little something about these four Heroes of mine.

Oh o say can you see, by the dawns ------------

PAT PAGE- He spent 37 days and nights on Iwo Jima. He reminded me it was nights too. He shot a japanese soldier that got into their fox hole one night. He told me he watched 4 marines from E company and a navy medic raise the flag on Mt. Suribachi. RIP- Pat.

RAY CAREY-- Was a tail gunner in a B-17. His plane was shot down over Germany, He bailed out and was knocked unconscious going out the door as the old plane was starting to spin. He came to and heard a flapping noise, it was his pant legs. He was captured an spent 8 months in a POW camp and lost about 35-40 lbs.

Glenn Hysell-- Was in the same outfit as Audie Murphy. Glenn was wounded twice, once he had a BAR and all of his amo and started to make a run for a small grove of trees. Unbeknownst to him there was already a german machine gun in those trees. He got hit in his right chest. Right where he had a small Bible in his shirt pocket. He still has the book with the pages all wadded up to the last page.

Bob Marquiz--- A captain with Gen. Patton. He went from Italy to the battle of the bulge, to the end of the war with him. He told me some of the hardest memories to forget was the railroad box cars full of people that were locked on the outside and nobody was around. RIP Bob

-----Over the land of the free.---- and the home of the brave.

Bob Bement

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I want to be the first to wish all our JC, as well as other military people, a very happy Veterans Day. Words cannot adequately express the extreme respect and admiration I have for you guys/gals. You're a very special breed and please know that we regular citizens appreciate all your sacrifices for this great country of ours! :nana2:

I think I can speak on behalf of most of the military brothers (and sistas!!!) on JC and say "Thank You!!!". We always appreciate the occasional thanks...and it certainly helps keep our heads high!!!

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Laurence Binyon

For the Fallen

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

<table class="MsoNormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="padding: 0in;" valign="top"> Happy belated Veteran's day,

When a good Veteran leaves the 'job' and retires to a better life, many
are jealous, some are pleased, and others, who may have already retired,
wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.

1. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few
experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times.

2. We know in the Military life there is a fellowship which lasts long
after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet.

3. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every
step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very
bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people
suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and
always will look at the rest of the Military world with a respect for
what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing.

Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life. You are only
escaping the 'job' and merely being allowed to leave 'active' duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in
your heart you never forget for one moment that you are still a member
of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Back