Being more patient with kids...

BCTAv8r

Any tips? I'd say I like kids overall but my brother is driving me crazy by asking me a question every 5 seconds. It gets so bad that I really lose my patience and just start ignoring him which of course isn't very good for his self esteem. He is only 6 so I know this is an age oc curiosity but is there any way to get him to ask less questions or be more patient with it?:banghead:

how well does he know how to read?

He can read books by himself with no problems. He really like to ask questions about what things are and how they work which of course are good for him to learn but I hate to be the one on the receiving end of his questions.:D

Man, How much older than him are you? I was once annoyed by my little brother too, then I moved away. I like answering all his questions and hearing all his stories whenever I go back home. Not saying he isn't an annoying little twerp anymore.. but the things that once got on my nerves are now a pleasure. Just be as patient as possible, help him learn.

Or teach him how to google..

Man, How much older than him are you? I was once annoyed by my little brother too, then I moved away. I like answering all his questions and hearing all his stories whenever I go back home. Not saying he isn't an annoying little twerp anymore.. but the things that once got on my nerves are now a pleasure. Just be as patient as possible, help him learn.

Or teach him how to google..

I'm 19, so 13 year difference. I don't mind answering questions. Just as long as they aren't asked literally every minute.

He wants to learn, that's a good thing! maybe put him in tune with the How It's Made shows or help him find the books that will give him all the information he wants to know.

The more he learns on his own (esp if it's via reading), the less he pesters you.

Any tips? I'd say I like kids overall but my brother is driving me crazy by asking me a question every 5 seconds. It gets so bad that I really lose my patience and just start ignoring him which of course isn't very good for his self esteem. He is only 6 so I know this is an age oc curiosity but is there any way to get him to ask less questions or be more patient with it?:banghead:

It's also a sign that he looks up to and trusts you. Especially since there is a 13 year difference, he most likely wants to spend time with you and wants to be just like his older brother. I see it with the interaction between my oldest son and his siblings. Whatever he is doing, they want to do. Wherever he goes, they want to go. It's almost a form of Hero worship. Keep in mind that it's a big world out there. Who better to have your six, than your brother. Keep ignoring him, and someday when you need him, he may ignore you.

My brother used to just lock me out of his room. lol Then I'd bang on it and cry that he was sooooo mean... Gawd, I was annoying.:crazy:

I have a 6 yo and they do ask many, many, many questions! Try asking him a question that he has to find the answer to and come back and tell you. It will make him feel important that you want to "learn" something from him. It also helps him see that he can find answers on his own.

I would think one of the biggest reasons he is always asking you questions is because he really admires you and looks up to you. It is one of the best compliments he can ever give you, without even giving it. His actions speak loudly in how much he adores you!

Appreciate the perspective that I was missing. Being the older brother I never really had the big brother to look up to so I didn't really think much about that.

It gets so bad that I really lose my patience and just start ignoring him which of course isn't very good for his self esteem.

You could consider taking control of the situation, rather than letting him control your interaction. Why not ask him for a trade of some present quietness for some future time together doing something you *both* enjoy? Mostly, he just wants some attention from you and it probably doesn't matter what you're doing. But if you promise something, it should be hours and not days in the future; to a 6-year-old, days are like years.

I always try to think of how I would want to be treated if I were him. My 6 year old likes to talk non-stop and is hooked on asking me math questions lately. I try to set aside time to spend with him and then tell him I am working and he needs to let me be for a bit. Usually he can play alone for 30 minutes while I get some peace. It took a few weeks before he would leave me alone, but now he gets it.

Good luck

k

Try remembering this: Someday, in the years to come, your brother will be the only living reminder of your parents, and, next to your spouse, the one most likely to stick by you no matter what. Treasure and protect that relationship.

Besides, what the heck have you got going on that you can't answer a few questions from the little guy that looks up to you. After all, he is asking you because you are like Superman in his eyes. Enjoy it.

Hey,

I know this is an old post, but I have a different angle on the reply. I lost my little brother 2.5 years ago to a brain tumor, he was 10, I was 18. I would do absolutely anything in my power to have the opportunity to even just have him back to bug me for just a few minutes. Cherish what you have, it's a nuisance to you I'm sure as it was to me, but like they say, you never really know how good you have it until it's gone. How painfully true that saying is.

Enjoy having a lil' bro, I wish mine was still alive. And share flying with him! I only got to do that once before he passed away, but he loved it, and I wish he was still around to come with me on $200 hamburger runs...and do the million other things we were robbed off by @$%&#! cancer.

BCT:

Weren't you 6 yrs old at one time? If you can remember, think of all those who poured themselves into your life that helped to mold and shape the person that you are today. Cut him some slack. He's your brother. Build a sound and fundamental relationship with him now. You will see the benefits of your "time investment" later.

atp

Back