Sumping Fuel Tanks

azaviator08

A flight instructor stopped me on the ramp the other day when I was doing my preflight. He told me he noticed me put the fuel that I sumped back into the fuel tank. He said you should not do this. My philosophy has always been as long as the sump is clear of particles or moisture then I can put the sample back into the fuel tank. If it has any contaminents then I dump it on the ground. How do you guys feel about this and what do you teach your students?

What you sump is a representative sample of what is in the tank, being at the bottom it should be the worst of what is in there.

If it is clean, I put it back. Always have.

PLEASE don't dump fuel on the ground. There should be containers supplied by the FBO for the collection of sumped fuel.

The instructor in question is worried about the fuel being contaminated after being removed from the tanks but he is making a mountain out of a mole hill. As long as the fuel is clean when it leaves the tank and take precautions not to allow it to be contaminated in the minute or so it in your tester then I say pour it back in. Listen to the instructor, present your side of the argument in a rational matter and when all is said and done you as the PIC decide as long as you don't violate flight school policy.

Put it back in the tank or in a designated container if its contaminated. Don't want a fine from the E.P.A.

PLEASE don't dump fuel on the ground. There should be containers supplied by the FBO for the collection of sumped fuel.

I would do this, but I have yet to visit an FBO (or field, for that matter) that provided said containers.

I thought about keeping a small jerrycan to add clean samples to. Over the course of many weeks of flying, I'm sure I could come up with a gallon of AvGas. :)

I would do this, but I have yet to visit an FBO (or field, for that matter) that provided said containers.

I bet they have 'em, but they're sitting in the corner of the hangar or tucked away by the fuel pumps somewhere. If you haven't done so, next time try asking a line person.

Like already said before, if it is NOT contaminated, I've always put it back into the tanks, and this is what I teach to my students. Hey, in these times, use all the fuel you can get! But as far as throwing fuel on the ramp, that's what I've done in the rare occasions I've found contaminated fuel. I worked as a lineman for a while and the whole time I was there, no one asked for a sump bucket or asked where they could put their sumped fuel. Every pilot just threw it onto the ramp. Just don't throw it into the grass like I've seen some people do!!! But again, I too have never seen these containers anywhere.

I bet they have 'em, but they're sitting in the corner of the hangar or tucked away by the fuel pumps somewhere. If you haven't done so, next time try asking a line person.
the ONLY place i have ever even seen one of those was at UND. i have been to maybe 20 or so FBO's and never have i seen a place to dump bad fuel other than at UND

GATS jars aren't that bad, we have them our aircraft at my flight school.

As far as sump buckets, I have seen it twice. Once at Sporty's and at the PMP location for American Flyers.

GATS jars aren't that bad, we have them our aircraft at my flight school.
I first used a GATS jar when I rented from a Florida flight school. Liked it so much that I bought one. It's especially useful with those post-1997 Cessna singles with the 13 drains.

So, what's the difference between a half pint of 100LL on the ramp and the thousands upon thousands of pounds that are *dumped* from aircraft that are airborne and need to adjust their gross weight?

Yeah, and I can't even GUESS how much fuel we dump when the P&D valves open up on freddy during shutdown. Flew into a country that wanted to try and "catch" the fuel, but hard to do when it is blown away by the fan exhaust...was funny to watch his futile attempt!

So, what's the difference between a half pint of 100LL on the ramp and the thousands upon thousands of pounds that are *dumped* from aircraft that are airborne and need to adjust their gross weight?

The EPA will make the FBO tear up their asphalt, reclaim the contaminated soil, then repave the ramp. This will bankrupt just about any school out there.

They won't do the same to the USAF.

Back