Flight Express Was Sold today!!

Air Bear KC

Ernst broke the news today that Bayside Capital, Inc., the same company that purchased Airnet, also bought us, Flight Express. Never saw it coming. I can't believe it.
We were told that there weren't going to be any changes for at least a year. We'll see.
I really don't know what to make of it. They still have pilots on furlough at Airnet. I hope our runs are safe.
"I should've listened to mother and became a plastic surgeon, up to my neck in tits and ass!"
Let the slingin' begin!!

WOW. What is the purpose of this company buying 2 competing freight companies? What is their main plan, world domination one 135 at a time?:confused:

The purpose is to take advantage of "synergies." No need for 10 crew schedulers between 2 companies when 7 would work.

And yes, an added benefit would be whipsawing. And if you're not familiar with the term, it refers to all work, new flying etc going to the group that is most "cost competitive." I learned this term from Skywest CEO Uncle Jerry who explained to our ALPA reps that in the case of a Skywest takeover, each year flying would come up for review and go to the most "Cost competitive" group under the SKywest umbrella. Needless to say most pilots extended their arm and raised their middle finger at the thought.

No changes till at least a year? HAHa! It took them a whopping couple of months to change the CEO and furlough 1/3 of the pilots at Airnet. Good luck

It is true, Bayside Capital did buy Flight Express as of early this week. I talked to one of the dispatchers that I trust and Bayside does not want to do anything else but see how the operation works for awhile. So what does awhile mean? I don't know but everybody keeps floating around the year mark. What does it mean? Probably means nothing anytime soon. Flight Express was in the black and considered very lean. Wheather that means that we are getting more investment capital or they just want us to run as is who knows, but FLX did get bought out by Bayside and nothing is going to change right now.

It is true, Bayside Capital did buy Flight Express as of early this week. I talked to one of the dispatchers that I trust and Bayside does not want to do anything else but see how the operation works for awhile. So what does awhile mean? I don't know but everybody keeps floating around the year mark. What does it mean? Probably means nothing anytime soon. Flight Express was in the black and considered very lean. Wheather that means that we are getting more investment capital or they just want us to run as is who knows, but FLX did get bought out by Bayside and nothing is going to change right now.
I want you to read this quote a couple of times. This is possibly in your future. This is who the company JUST bought a few months ago. They have already started (or are starting) the furlough process, changed where their hub is located twice, and Lord knows what else. Keep both eyes open, and unfortunately, get your resume updated if it's not already.

I'm not trying to be the doom and gloom guy, but seeing the track record of this company that bought you guys is absolutely horrendous!!!

No changes till at least a year? HAHa! It took them a whopping couple of months to change the CEO and furlough 1/3 of the pilots at Airnet. Good luck

The purpose is to take advantage of "synergies." No need for 10 crew schedulers between 2 companies when 7 would work.

And yes, an added benefit would be whipsawing. And if you're not familiar with the term, it refers to all work, new flying etc going to the group that is most "cost competitive." I learned this term from Skywest CEO Uncle Jerry who explained to our ALPA reps that in the case of a Skywest takeover, each year flying would come up for review and go to the most "Cost competitive" group under the SKywest umbrella. Needless to say most pilots extended their arm and raised their middle finger at the thought.
Yes, I am all too familiar with the word, watching you regional guys go through it and listening to all of the pettiness it creates. It's a great way to divide groups, though, from a mgmt perspective...

I'm frankly amazed that Big John sold. I guess his ego ducked out of the light long enough for him to see the writing on the wall. It's a damn shame, because as far as I could tell, he let Ernst run the company as he saw fit, and Ernst (for all of his arguable faults) is a fundamentally decent, fair guy. I'll be crossing my fingers for you guys, and for the company. Despite being an unrepentant cynic and basically a bastard all around, I have a big soft spot for FLX.

If it comes to "whipsawing" (and frankly I think it would be a lucky thing if it came to whipsawing, rather than just piecemeal asset-selling), I think the FLX guys will be in good shape vice Airnet. They don't lease anything, the planes are cheaper to operate (who can forget Austin's lecture about the economies of the 210?), there is basically zero turnover in the non-pilot part of the company, and while few pilots are looking to stay there forever, there's an "esprit de corps" that I haven't seen in the Airnet guys I've talked to. I'm not saying that's necessarily a "good thing for the industry" or whatever, but I confess that I'm a little partisan on this one. I'll be making prayers to my pagan, evil God.

PS. Two observations: Please don't get in to on-demand stuff as there are guys in slightly bigger, slightly faster airplanes who need to eat ;).

And. If Gary "Pythons" Hillyer ever gets shown the door, I demand that every right-thinking FLXer immediately gives their two weeks and heads down to the unemployment office. Some insults simply cannot be taken. (I don't think that will happen, though, since it would basically be like an acrimonious divorce from your loved-but-hated spouse for Ernst ;) )

shakehead.gif

It only gets worse from here.

Good luck.

I'm frankly amazed that Big John sold. I guess his ego ducked out of the light long enough for him to see the writing on the wall. It's a damn shame, because as far as I could tell, he let Ernst run the company as he saw fit, and Ernst (for all of his arguable faults) is a fundamentally decent, fair guy. I'll be crossing my fingers for you guys, and for the company. Despite being an unrepentant cynic and basically a bastard all around, I have a big soft spot for FLX.

If it comes to "whipsawing" (and frankly I think it would be a lucky thing if it came to whipsawing, rather than just piecemeal asset-selling), I think the FLX guys will be in good shape vice Airnet. They don't lease anything, the planes are cheaper to operate (who can forget Austin's lecture about the economies of the 210?), there is basically zero turnover in the non-pilot part of the company, and while few pilots are looking to stay there forever, there's an "esprit de corps" that I haven't seen in the Airnet guys I've talked to. I'm not saying that's necessarily a "good thing for the industry" or whatever, but I confess that I'm a little partisan on this one. I'll be crossing my fingers for you guys.

PS. Two observations: Please don't get in to on-demand stuff as there are guys in slightly bigger, slightly faster airplanes who need to eat ;).

And. If Gary "Pythons" Hillyer ever gets shown the door, I demand that every right-thinking FLXer immediately gives their two weeks and heads down to the unemployment office. Some insults simply cannot be taken. (I don't think that will happen, though, since it would basically be like an acrimonious divorce from your loved-but-hated spouse for Ernst ;) )
I saw on another forum (PPW) that Gary (I'm assuming you are talking recruiter Gary, at FI, also) is no longer with the company...

I saw on another forum (PPW) that Gary (I'm assuming you are talking recruiter Gary, at FI, also) is no longer with the company...

That's not good at all. Gary was the slightly crazed angel who sat on Ernst's shoulder keeping him from Doing Wrong. Anyone have any idea what he's doing now? How to get in touch with him? I need to call that guy.

That's not good at all. Gary was the slightly crazed angel who sat on Ernst's shoulder keeping him from Doing Wrong. Anyone have any idea what he's doing now? How to get in touch with him? I need to call that guy.

I'll make a few phone calls, no promises. If I get a number I will PM you.

I'm down in Orlando and the few people I've talked to say its good. Something about flight privileges coming our way... We'll see.

I'm down in Orlando and the few people I've talked to say its good. Something about flight privileges coming our way... We'll see.

Back to studying, you! Hey, how do I know your avatar is an L or an early M model?

Seriously, I hope the good tidings pan out. Although I'm going to be pissed if y'all are jet-setting around the country while I'm purchasing "web-savers" on southwest.com ;)

PS. If you look carefully behind your avatar you can see the light pole I uh didn't hit that one time. All hail the ORL hangar/trailer.

Back