Flying VFR in Alaska

planesiscool

I am right on the door step of finishing my PPL, doing my solo cross country on saturday. I am also about to move to Alaska from Texas and in Texas there is tons of VFR flying but I am wondering about Alaska. Are there many opportunities to fly VFR up there or will I need an Instrument to fly on most days? I have heard the weather there is not condusive to VFR flight... I will be living close to Anchorage.

I am right on the door step of finishing my PPL, doing my solo cross country on saturday. I am also about to move to Alaska from Texas and in Texas there is tons of VFR flying but I am wondering about Alaska. Are there many opportunities to fly VFR up there or will I need an Instrument to fly on most days? I have heard the weather there is not condusive to VFR flight... I will be living close to Anchorage.

THere is plenty of VFR flying up here, I blast off and fly vfr and fly at work 5 days a week. Not an issue at all.

are there a lot of seasonal vfr pilot gigs available in alaska? my friend travels there every summer to work and i was thinking of joining him if i could find a flying gig.

how much time do you have?

hahaha! :yeahthat:

i only have 54 hours. still rocking the temp airman cert. i really only have the money to fly once a week. so every weekend im planing a 50.1 NM trip. to somewhere and back. building time ever so slowly.

i graduate in december and plan on finishing my inst. multi. comm. and initial CFI by march or april. of next year. so by the time my friend leaves for AK, around the 1st of june, i would be at 350TT or so.

Back