US Senate panel votes to reject hiking pilot retirement age

I doubt that adding two more years, gets the medical to semi astronaut standards.
I can't speak to this as a pilot who would be shown the door.

I can speak to it as a 70yo, who obviously went through 60 and 65 and 67 and knows best a peer group who did the same thing. Whether in public safety or 121/corporate flying, cognitive and reflexive decline is a genuine thing and that matters when other people entrust their well-being/lives to a stranger. There comes a time to set aside both the job and personal car keys, for good reason🤷‍♂️

I think this was a (rare) good/right choice on the part of the Senate.

YMMV.

*sigh*

Y’all have missed my PAWG jokes. Especially that last one…

IMG_0502.jpg

Comment had more to do with the goal of being ready to retire and how dudes like him were earning a military pension while I was getting a 3% match.

Well if it makes you feel any better, since I'm doing part of my 20 yrs as a reservist <------ this guy's military pension won't kick in until around age 60, and will be paid out at 40% of the 50% base pay that active duty retirees start getting in their (typically) 40's. It's certainly not nothing, but I'm not planning my retirement finances around it either, sort of like Social Security, though with a lot more certainty than that I guess. Probably the bigger disparity is the pay before everyone arrives at a major airline, especially in the early years, mil flying versus entry level civilian gigs. And yes, the guys that stuck around on active duty until a 20/25/30 year retirement, depending on retirement rank (mostly O-5 or O-6), have a pretty healthy pension coming in starting at day 1 of civilian life. Though i'd consider that decision more of a tradeoff, since most of those folks missed out on 10/15/20 years on a major airline seniority list, making double/triple/quadruple what they made in the military by then.

Last edited:
It ain’t over yet…does anyone know what the chances of this passing is?

I’m pretty sure this needs 60 votes to get added on. Which is extremely unlikely. I believe, based on what I read, this might just be another party line vote. Will die again. And then the senators will get another “oh look I tried, anyways, make sure you vote for me to pay me back” type of •. But it’s really hard to find out more information.

I’m pretty sure this needs 60 votes to get added on. Which is extremely unlikely. I believe, based on what I read, this might just be another party line vote. Will die again. And then the senators will get another “oh look I tried, anyways, make sure you vote for me to pay me back” type of •. But it’s really hard to find out more information.

So, what seems different from this vs. the prior language is that the whole "you get to come back after you've already retired at your prior seniority thing" is gone. This has a hard cutoff built into it... you aren't 65 yet... you may continue. Over 65 - game over, man - but can be hired back as junior man on the totem pole.

So, what seems different from this vs. the prior language is that the whole "you get to come back after you've already retired at your prior seniority thing" is gone. This has a hard cutoff built into it... you aren't 65 yet... you may continue. Over 65 - game over, man - but can be hired back as junior man on the totem pole.
so a 787 CA can come back after retiring the week before...but has to go NB FO? there's an SNL sketch in there somewhere.

Back