Owner assited Overhaul

Nark

Macho Superpilot
@Roger Roger and everyone...

I know you did an overhaul on your PA12 (22?) a few years ago before getting rid of it. Although you're an A&P which I'm not, that makes a significant difference...

Anyway, a dude I fly with "over here" is an A&P and unequivocally stated "do an overhaul yourself!" Knowing I'm not an P. (but having a few A&P friends close by)

The reason I brought this up, as I'm in the market for a Cessna 180 upon returning to civilization. I've found one with 1950SMOH, conveniently $20,000 below similar models. (about the price of a quick search for overhaul estimates on the 0-470).

A quick cost benefit analysis would suggest, buy this old gal, fly until it produces metal, and either strap a gently used (400SMOH for $14,000 or overhaul the 470, assisted by A&P's/ IA (no idea price).

I should also state, I hate cheap ass pilot owner-operators. If you can't afford to do it properly, you shouldn't own it. Conversely, people who I know with fat bank accounts don't fly business class every time they fly for a reason...)

You can certainly perform an overhaul under the supervision of your A&P, it'll probably even be a lot of fun!

You'll need an official copy of the overhaul manual for the specific engine, a few specialized tools, and a good amount of patience.

There are some things you will need to send out depending on what the engine needs but that's true of any overhaul.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

@Roger Roger and everyone...

I know you did an overhaul on your PA12 (22?) a few years ago before getting rid of it. Although you're an A&P which I'm not, that makes a significant difference...

Anyway, a dude I fly with "over here" is an A&P and unequivocally stated "do an overhaul yourself!" Knowing I'm not an P. (but having a few A&P friends close by)

The reason I brought this up, as I'm in the market for a Cessna 180 upon returning to civilization. I've found one with 1950SMOH, conveniently $20,000 below similar models. (about the price of a quick search for overhaul estimates on the 0-470).

A quick cost benefit analysis would suggest, buy this old gal, fly until it produces metal, and either strap a gently used (400SMOH for $14,000 or overhaul the 470, assisted by A&P's/ IA (no idea price).

I should also state, I hate cheap ass pilot owner-operators. If you can't afford to do it properly, you shouldn't own it. Conversely, people who I know with fat bank accounts don't fly business class every time they fly for a reason...)
Only do this if the A&P/IA who will be signing off your work knows the O-470 family of engines intimately. There is a huge amount to know about these engines, and an overhaul that's almost right, but not 100% right, will give you all kinds of problems. If you don't believe me, go to an engine shop that does lots of overhauls and have them show you some of the subtle differences between models, as well as some of the incorrect carb, carb jets, sumps, oil pump gears, and induction systems that come in on the engines they overhaul. You can also find threads in backcountrypilot.org and supercub.org that illustrate the minor but important differences between engines in the same family. Those threads have good examples the problems some folks have run into, and the difficulties they had in getting things set right. And speaking of threads, if you do a Lycoming engine, don't forget the silk thread between the case halves.

If the guy you're working with knows the O-470s really well, you probably won't have a problem. But if he hasn't done a large number of these engines, you'll be better off sending the engine to a shop that does them all the time.

Back