Lufthansa

bafanguy

Not sure I understand this. Maybe someone who works in Europe is more familiar with this and can explain.

Why would Lufthansa be advertising for pilots seemingly outside its own ab initio pipeline (if that's what they're actually doing) ? I understood the only way in was via their ab initio. The ad asks for people already licensed and having:

"600 hours of TT
300 hours multiengine in multicrew Jet Aircraft / turboprop, or
Training at the Lufthansa Flight Training GmbH Bremen on multi crew aircraft"

Why would they need to advertise publicly to reach people in their own pool, all of whom are expecting to be fed into the Lufthansa system anyway ? The ad makes it sound like they're recruiting outside candidates.

http://www.aviationjobs.me/2014/07/non-type-rated-first-officers-lufthansa-germany.html

As of July 7th, this PJN listing says:

"Currently hiring only from our own pool. No outside hiring."

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Lufthansa_German_Airlines

I must be misinterpreting something ?

The ad above is targeted to the many pilots that once finished training in Europe went for a pay to fly program in Indonesia, they usually fly over there for 500 hours and then come back. Several European Airlines like the ones from the TUI group have been recruiting this guys. Arke has hired several Lion Air pay to fly guys with less then 1000 hours straight into the B767.

Lufthansa Passage (what the ad is for) started again to recruit external trained pilots, around 4-5 years ago. They still have a lot of their own trained ab-initio pilots, just waiting for their class date for their initial type rating, so I doubt, that they are really recruiting "ready entries" at this time. They are most likely just checking out the job market and filling their databases.

On the other hand, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings were always recruiting external pilots, with just a few breaks in between. So even if you applied as "ready entry" for Lufthansa Passage, they would have most likely just offered you a position with LH Cargo, or Germanwings. After a given number of years and if the need arises, you might get the chance to switch companies within the Lufthansa Group. I have only heard of a handful of pilots, who really made it directly to "LH Passage", not being fed through their own ab-initio training and most of them completed at least part of their training at Lufthansa.

Born and raised in Germany, wish I could go back and fly there for a while. Can't do crap with FAA licenses and no right to work.

The ad above is targeted to the many pilots that once finished training in Europe went for a pay to fly program in Indonesia, they usually fly over there for 500 hours and then come back. Several European Airlines like the ones from the TUI group have been recruiting this guys. Arke has hired several Lion Air pay to fly guys with less then 1000 hours straight into the B767.
Wait...people pay to fly for airlines in Indonesia? You couldn't pay me enough to go work for some of those shady operators!

Wait...people pay to fly for airlines in Indonesia? You couldn't pay me enough to go work for some of those shady operators!

Do you have direct experience on them? Not all of the operators over there are that bad, do you really think Singapore and Australia would just let anyone flying over their heads?

Yes a good portion of them has a very bad safety record, that has mostly to do with CRM..

I know some guys (FO) flying the CRJ for Garuda (most of the crews are expats with previous CRJ time) and they absolutely love it, they get 5000+ US a month plus almost 2000 US in various allowances, 3 weeks off every 3 months...and they seem to agree that the planes are well maintained and the company has good practices.

And then you have.....Lion Air.

Do you have direct experience on them? Not all of the operators over there are that bad, do you really think Singapore and Australia would just let anyone flying over their heads?

Yes a good portion of them has a very bad safety record, that has mostly to do with CRM..

I know some guys (FO) flying the CRJ for Garuda (most of the crews are expats with previous CRJ time) and they absolutely love it, they get 5000+ US a month plus almost 2000 US in various allowances, 3 weeks off every 3 months...and they seem to agree that the planes are well maintained and the company has good practices.

And then you have.....Lion Air.
By some of those operators, I meant some not all. Yes, Lion Air was in my thoughts as well as some previous operators like Adam Air.

Back