KOMA tornado

What would be cool would be to do basic coach but only travel during the day and stay in a hotel and explore a layover city at night. Not sure if Amtrack has a schedule where you can avoid night trips.

They do, but stuff delays some times.

The Rocky Mountaineer does that, but it's all super high end and pricey.

VIA Rail (Canada) runs a train from Prince Rupert to Jasper that stops overnight in Prince George. If you do that off season (but when there is some daylight still) it's a nice ride. Prince Rupert and Jasper are good towns to explore. I'd stick with a taxi between the train station and hotel in Prince George... even if it's only a few blocks.

What would be cool would be to do basic coach but only travel during the day and stay in a hotel and explore a layover city at night. Not sure if Amtrack has a schedule where you can avoid night trips.
I've always thought falling asleep on a train at night might be the epitome of a bedtime story, but I've never tried it so I don't know. Slight motions and clackity-clackity-clackity sounds for hours in a comfy bed sounds like anesthesia, just need a PB&J and a tall glass of milk. I'll see you in the morning for an omelette in the diner car. "Excuse me Mr. Conductor, do you have any Grey Poupon?".

I rode a sleeper train with my mom back in the day down to San Jose, well before it was a tech place or really even on the map, to meet my dad during a work trip. If only I had bought real estate right then :)

It is hands down my favorite way to travel between Portland and Seattle.

I was born in Iowa and grew up in Kansas City, never thought twice about the sirens when they would test them on the first Wednesday of the month until my small town Montana wife and I were visiting and she asked what was that sound. We had a mutt when I was a teenager that would go batpoop crazy howling at them.

hah I had totally forgotten the Wednesday scarries. I'm pretty sure Cedar Rapids did theirs the same day too. As a kid, I had a long standing fear of that kind of siren. The warbling, air raid siren kind. I did have a strange interest in the fallout shelter signs that you'd find in PDX and SEA at the time though. Totally defunct shelters by then (1980s) though. Maybe they had some cans of tuna and a few bed springs waiting though

The Rocky Mountaineer does that, but it's all super high end and pricey.

VIA Rail (Canada) runs a train from Prince Rupert to Jasper that stops overnight in Prince George. If you do that off season (but when there is some daylight still) it's a nice ride. Prince Rupert and Jasper are good towns to explore. I'd stick with a taxi between the train station and hotel in Prince George... even if it's only a few blocks.

While making small talk one day with a contract flight attendant, they told me that their other job is on these luxury trains. I had never heard of such a thing, but it is extremely popular and from how they describe it, not much different than luxury private jet service.

While making small talk one day with a contract flight attendant, they told me that their other job is on these luxury trains. I had never heard of such a thing, but it is extremely popular and from how they describe it, not much different than luxury private jet service.

I had a contract FA once who gave private tours of Disneyland on the side complete with underground tunnels for the rich and famous. Found out when they close a ride for 10 minutes randomly it’s not really for maintenance.

Some of them were our passengers. Double dipping

I had a contract FA once who gave private tours of Disneyland on the side complete with underground tunnels for the rich and famous. Found out when they close a ride for 10 minutes randomly it’s not really for maintenance.

Some of them were our passengers. Double dipping
Back in 1969 my parents, before they were married, were on the airborne gondola ride at Disneyland and someone lit up a stick of the devils lettuce. Disney was not happy about that and that's how my mom found out there's an Anaheim PD jail on Main Street. I never got to the bottom of the story, they both vehemently denied anything but my grandma told me that since my dad was about to graduate from Art Center my moms dad told her to take the fall. Both grandparents are gone, as is my dad, trying to dig for the truth about any of these sorts of stories with only one perspective is not reliable so I decided a long time ago to sometimes let sleeping dogs lay. Apparently my mom wasn't overly upset about the whole thing, my older brother was born on Christmas Eve that year.

Back