Delta Baggage Handler

future pilot

So i applied for a seasonal delta baggage handler job for this summer, I am in college right now but ill be done for the summer next Wednesday. Delta recruiters called me last Thursday and i completed the initial screening. Should it take this long for them to get back with me? What do you think my chances are for me getting this job?

It can take a while, depending on a few things. I think my current ramp job took about a couple weeks before they called me. When I applied at ExpressJet for a CSA job it took them almost a month to call me back with a job offer. Your chances are probably pretty good, but who knows. It's not exactly rocket science, so you'll probably be fine.

I applied back in late Feb for the job. Here's my timeline of the events. Also since you applied for a seasonal job which starts soon it should move quicker if they are interested. Also, after the interview did they tell you congratulations and anything about a face to face interview? Usually if you pass that's what they tell you. Delta has been known for sending out rejections many months after initial interviews on the phone as well as face to face. It's a long process that requires some patience. But I had some issues with the people doing my background check being incompetent so that added about a month and a half to the process so yours could very well move much quicker.

2/27 Applied Online
3/2 Received Call about phone interview
3/3 Called back and was told I passed
3/5 Received email to call immediately about a f2f
3/6 AM F2F held and CJO received
3/12 Finished my agility/hearing tests...drug test/fingerprints were done the day of the interview
3/21 Received Call about the people running the background check not being able to verify some employment/my driving history
4/12 Status changed on the website to position offered
5/4 Got tired of waiting for a call so I went to the airport myself to get it sorted. Started my badge paperwork
5/8 Turned in paperwork and took the required classes to pick up the SIDA/AOA badge
5/15 Received a call about training
5/22 Started training

Here's a tip, don't just drop the bags face first on the conveyor from a few feet off of the ground. Watched a baggage handler do this in DC last weekend. Couldn't imagine how the contents in my luggage was damaged during that trip....

Here's a tip, don't just drop the bags face first on the conveyor from a few feet off of the ground. Watched a baggage handler do this in DC last weekend. Couldn't imagine how the contents in my luggage was damaged during that trip....
Hate to say it, but don't pack anything breakable in your luggage! The automated baggage system can be harder on the bags than the rampers.

I was hired as a RR ramp agent for Delta less than two months ago, and yes, it can take a while to process. I started early February and my official start date is March 12th. Give it some time, but if you get no response for a couple weeks I would give them a call or swing by the airport and inquire in person.

Best of luck! Working on the ramp is fun, depending on which station (San Francisco can get chilly, but it's usually great weather). You'll have a blast :)

Back