Thought these were Lockheed, not Boeing…..

I've found stuff in wing tanks that shouldn't be there 30 years after a plane was built. I obviously have no idea when they were left behind, but some of the stuff, flashlights and different sorts of scrapers, should've been caught before the airplane was put either into or back into service. I once found a 1/4" drive 1/4" socket floating around in the PDB (power distribution box, basically the electrical brain/heart of a G-IV), we'd removed it to replace a faulty contactor. The backside of the box has like 30 something connectors, the bottom has all of the AC and DC power coming into and out of it through a dozen or so 4 gage aluminum terminals. It weighs about 200 lbs and when you dig into it's all open terminal ends and big relays. Bare metal like a socket just roaming free inside that thing for years makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Oddly enough it's held in place by two screws.

PS: It was a Snap-On socket and it's still in my toolbox.

Last edited:
I also recall an issue when the G200 was a fairly new thing. The airframe has no fuel filters, but the the engines and APU do. I try to do my due diligence when banging fixing sticks on spinny things so when I remove any filter I spend a little time inspecting the filter I've removed. The spinny things were on the programs that want monthly downloads and oil samples for a not insignificant amount of money. I kept finding metal in the fuel filters, I'd grab a magnet to see if it was ferrous and it never was, it was aluminum. The engines were fine per the spectometric oil analysis folks so I called Gulfstream and I was told a story that I'm not entirely sure is true. Apparently IAI had issues with labor when they were building the Galaxy (that's what the 200 was called before Gulfstream took over) so they brought a bunch of experienced Russian airplane building type people (probably not much going on at Sukhoi or MiG at that point) and went to work building their first midsize corporate jet. The person that related this story told me he could not verify any of it. Apparently the Russians really liked Israel, especially the nightlife, and this sort of more refined manufacturing had a pretty steep learning curve. In other words the Russians working for IAI were sloppy until they weren't. We had like four of the 200s at that point and they were all sub 100 serial numbers. I still think it's a good airplane, anything I might gripe about was fixed with the 280.

I also recall an issue when the G200 was a fairly new thing. The airframe has no fuel filters, but the the engines and APU do. I try to do my due diligence when banging fixing sticks on spinny things so when I remove any filter I spend a little time inspecting the filter I've removed. The spinny things were on the programs that want monthly downloads and oil samples for a not insignificant amount of money. I kept finding metal in the fuel filters, I'd grab a magnet to see if it was ferrous and it never was, it was aluminum. The engines were fine per the spectometric oil analysis folks so I called Gulfstream and I was told a story that I'm not entirely sure is true. Apparently IAI had issues with labor when they were building the Galaxy (that's what the 200 was called before Gulfstream took over) so they brought a bunch of experienced Russian airplane building type people (probably not much going on at Sukhoi or MiG at that point) and went to work building their first midsize corporate jet. The person that related this story told me he could not verify any of it. Apparently the Russians really liked Israel, especially the nightlife, and this sort of more refined manufacturing had a pretty steep learning curve. In other words the Russians working for IAI were sloppy until they weren't. We had like four of the 200s at that point and they were all sub 100 serial numbers. I still think it's a good airplane, anything I might gripe about was fixed with the 280.

How often did the SOAP samples have to be taken? If I remember right in the A-10, it was no more than every third flight to a max of something like 12 hours or so. Can’t remember specifically.

How often did the SOAP samples have to be taken? If I remember right in the A-10, it was no more than every third flight to a max of something like 12 hours or so. Can’t remember specifically.
I don't recall the frequency, if memory serves it was hourly and not calendar based, maybe every 100-150 hours? It's just one of those things that pop up on the due list. The samples are normally taken when replacing the oil filter. You rarely do an oil change on a turbine engine, you just add oil constantly and replace the filter when required.

I don't recall the frequency, if memory serves it was hourly and not calendar based, maybe every 100-150 hours? It's just one of those things that pop up on the due list. The samples are normally taken when replacing the oil filter. You rarely do an oil change on a turbine engine, you just add oil constantly and replace the filter when required.

Every air base has an oil analysis section that’s usually 24/7 unless notated differently in the airfield NOTAMs/Info; so it was easy on a cross country for transient alert folks to get a sample, or even we could, and it could be analyzed in short order. That would then get updated in the aircraft’s log, and good to go again. Ironically, I’ve never seen an aircraft fail an analysis or have it come back bad from the oil folks.

Other thing I thought was funny/ironic. In my early days of flying, I’d always take a fuel sample from the wing drains when preflighting, the standard few ounces checking for water or particulates, then toss it onto the ground or the grass…in the heat here, most of that evaporates in no time. Today and lately, that’s verboten, tossing a few ounces out.

And yet, every time I’d shut down my A-10 or even my HH-60, whether at a mil or civilian field, the engine’s Overspeed Drain Valves would dump the remaining jet fuel from the lines and onto the ground, a pretty significant amount, maybe a quart or more, to keep it out of the hot section. And no one would complain about that. But a few ounces of AvGas….doom!! :)

Every air base has an oil analysis section that’s usually 24/7 unless notated differently in the airfield NOTAMs/Info; so it was easy on a cross country for transient alert folks to get a sample, or even we could, and it could be analyzed in short order. That would then get updated in the aircraft’s log, and good to go again. Ironically, I’ve never seen an aircraft fail an analysis or have it come back bad from the oil folks.
In my experience you get a "kit", it's a box with a plastic jar some papers a couple of stickers and a return shipping label inside. Inside of the plastic jar there's a smaller plastic jar, that's where the oil goes, there's also a plastic/teflon/silicone straw. I've never used the straw but I don't recall ever throwing them away. Once you get the sample in the small jar (don't send too much, they only need a little bit) you seal it up, clean the outside of the jar and then put it in the bigger jar and seal that up. Then you fill out the paperwork (N-number, engine S/N, engine position, times/cycles), grab the shipping label, toss everything into the box, tape it up, affix the label and either give it to shipping/recieving or drop it off at FedEx or UPS.

In my experience you get a "kit", it's a box with a plastic jar some papers a couple of stickers and a return shipping label inside. Inside of the plastic jar there's a smaller plastic jar, that's where the oil goes, there's also a plastic/teflon/silicone straw. I've never used the straw but I don't recall ever throwing them away. Once you get the sample in the small jar (don't send too much, they only need a little bit) you seal it up, clean the outside of the jar and then put it in the bigger jar and seal that up. Then you fill out the paperwork (N-number, engine S/N, engine position, times/cycles), grab the shipping label, toss everything into the box, tape it up, affix the label and either give it to shipping/recieving or drop it off at FedEx or UPS.

That was the same kit we had. And it was kept in a box located inside the left wheel well, usually two kits there. No shipping label because it just has to be driven over to the POL section on base where the fuels/oil folks were, and quick analysis. We’d dip with the straw after the oil cap was removed, thumb the top of it, and remove a sample for the inner jar. Was easy enough. Pretty simple process in the mil. Just had to be done very often with us.

Other thing I thought was funny/ironic. In my early days of flying, I’d always take a fuel sample from the wing drains when preflighting, the standard few ounces checking for water or particulates, then toss it onto the ground or the grass…in the heat here, most of that evaporates in no time. Today and lately, that’s verboten, tossing a few ounces out.

And yet, every time I’d shut down my A-10 or even my HH-60, whether at a mil or civilian field, the engine’s Overspeed Drain Valves would dump the remaining jet fuel from the lines and onto the ground, a pretty significant amount, maybe a quart or more, to keep it out of the hot section. And no one would complain about that. But a few ounces of AvGas….doom!! :)
Non military planes have "environmental" cans to avoid this sort of thing. It's basically just a little reservoir that catches the unburnt fuel from the burner at shut down and sends it back to the hot section using a jet pump when the engine starts again. They used to have a filter for the motive flow line on the Speys and Tays that would clog up and the engine would just dump fuel after shutdown. This is not an ideal situation but it was exacerbated by the fact the baggage door opens underneath the left engine and when people were trying to unload the bags after the engine shut off they might get a shower of fuel. The obvious fix is to remove the filter, I haven't seen one in quite a while.

I remember when I was a midshipman in college, doing my summer cruise on the USS Kitty Hawk, I was basically just a dork running all over the entire ship trying to see everything. At one point I found myself in the fuel shop, where they do the tests of fuel samples. The guys and gals down there seemed legitimately surprised to have me there, and pretty proud to tell me about what they do. Which is kind of a sad story about how much the navy cares about the people that do the dirty jobs that nobody even knows about. I doubt they had ever seen a visitor before. I however found it to be a really interesting visit. They knew a ton about aviation fuels, how the ship managed it all, and took a lot of time to show idiot college boy me what they did. Somehow nearly 20 years later, that is one of the only things I remember about that trip.

We always joked if the Germans ever figured out how much fuel we dump on shut down they would stop the Army from flying.

It’s funny until you have an aircraft PL in what turns out to be a declared nesting site for an endangered species of bird….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back